Chapter Thirty-six: I'm sorry

Ben's POV - -

I pulled up to Rey's house around 7 o'clock.  Her dad proudly let me in.

"It's nice to see you Ben, how has college treated you?"

"Great, ya it's been great. But it's nice to get away from campus."

"I bet." Rey came downstairs in casual clothing. She looked tired but beautiful, as always. I took her hand and we walked out the door to my car.

"I was thinking we could just go to your favorite restaurant here and then we could go for a walk." I said as I opened the passenger door for her.

"Ya that sounds great." She got in.  I closed the door and got in.

Rey's POV - -

"Dinner was delightful Ben, thank you."

"Yes, it was. I had fun." He smiled.

"Me too." I smiled back. When he asked me to dinner. I had been rehearsing everything I want to say to him. But his smiled has just caused me to drop my speaking cards. I'm at a loss for words. 

We were walking by a park and we sat down at a bench.

"Rey, I was thinking that maybe when I come down again this coming summer you could come back with me."

"Oh Ben, I would love to but, I just can't. "

"What do you mean, we talked about this."

"No we didn't, we talked about talking about it, but we did not talk about it."

"It was so easy for you to say no. Why? "

"Why? Yes I may have thought about this but it was easy to say because I feel that this can't go on."

"What?"

"Ben, this is all to hard. Having you leave again and having to wait for you again to maybe come back because of a maybe possible plan, I mean, I can't handle anymore of this. Ben, I want you to know that I love you, more than anything,  this is hard to even say, I'm sorry, we can't be together. "

"Rey, we promised each other." His voice was becoming frantic, " is... is there someone else?"

"No. God no.  There's no one else."

"Then why?"

"Ben, I want you to succeed, you can't do that with me holding you back. You only need to worry about you. Not us. I'm so sorry. " I looked at him. He wasn't crying. He was staring at the the ground.

"Ben, say something!" I demanded.

"What is there to say, clearly you have your mind made up. I'm sorry too Rey, that I left, that I caused you so much pain,  I'm sorry I drove you away. I'm sorry." I have never seen him cry till now.  He was heartbroken. I felt the tears down my face.

"Ben, just, just take me home please."

The whole way home he had this upset thinking look on his face. He said nothing. I got out of his car saying nothing to him. Crying the whole walkway up to my house.

Author's Note
I'm sorry.