Chapter 17: Meeting Them

It was a day before Thanksgiving. I'd had the Thanksgiving holiday for 4 days. Mike and Hailey had went home leaving me alone in this hellish town.

Ethan left too, going back to Delaware to his family.

Today was the day my parents came. Brian'd asked me if I wanted to come to pick them up from the airport. Yeah. Like that was gonna happen.

They would be here in 2 hours and I couldn't wait to get the hell out of here before they did.

"Are you sure you don't want to come?", Brian asked me a thousand times.

I just gave him a dead glare and he understood, raising his hands up in surrender.

"Alright. Just stay here, OK?", he said before he left the apartment.

10 minutes after he left, it was my cue to leave now.

I went to my room and took my sweater with me. The weather was kind of chilly today.

I grabbed the keys and left the apartment. I walked slowly to one of the cafe that I went with Hailey on the first day I got here.

The place was not crowded like usual. Most the students had went home for Thanksgiving.

I stayed in the cafe for almost an hour. I looked at my watch. They must had realized that I wasn't home.

Speak of the devil, my phone buzzed. Brian called. He must be really pissed at me now. I let it buzzed and continued eating my food.

The phone had buzzed like 10 times and I still didn't have the heart to pick it up.

After paying for my meal, I went straight to the campus library. I loved to read. At home in Delaware, I had a book shelf full of different kind of books. Comics, novels, and some educating books. All of them still at the house and I never had a chance to get them back.

The library was empty like I expected. There were only few students, maybe looking sources for their thesis. I mean come on, who would want to be in the library on a day before Thanksgiving? Well apart from me.

I went to the computer section, I tried to look for programming books. After searching for a while, I got some. These books clearly wasn't for my level but I still tried to read them anyway.

Sitting on the floor was suck and my butt was already numb. I'd read 2 books. I didn't fully understand all the topic but at least I got some figures.

I looked at my watch and gasped. It was already 10 PM. I didn't realize I'd been in here for almost 2 hours.

I hurriedly got out of the place and headed to the apartment. When I almost got there, I stopped.

What if they were still in there? I didn't want to see them. But looking at my watch, it was 10.15 PM.

They must had gone back to the hotel. They just got here tonight. It was impossible that they were still in the apartment. And I knew my mom. She always whined to get rest after a long trip.

So I decided to went up to the apartment. Brian must be waiting for me to give lectures.

I opened the door and closed behind me. I was gonna headed to my room when I heard a voice. A voice that I'd been trying to avoid.

"Linda? Baby? Is that you?", I heard her voice from the living room.

I heard footsteps and my mood was changed suddenly. Baby? Seriously? Give me a break.

There she was, my so called mother followed by my dad. She was still the same except that her dark hair was shorter and more wrinkled appeared on her face. And my dad, he looked just fine except his hair started to grey.

"Oh, baby I miss you so much", she hugged me tight. I tensed up but it seemed she didn't notice.

"Hi, baby girl", my dad's turn to hug me after my mom pulled away.

Now we were sitting in the kitchen. Ethan tried to create conversations so that the atmosphere wasn't so awkward. I just stayed silent for the whole time. I frowned at the two figures next to me.

It was almost eleven and they were still stay here. I started getting sleepy so I stood up from my chair.

"Linda, are you OK? You haven't said anything since we got here", my mom finally spoke.

"I'm tired. I'm heading to bed", I snapped.

"Wait, we just got here and you just went away like that?", she almost shouted.

I turned facing her. You wouldn't want to face me when I'm sleepy. "I'm tired. I want to sleep", I shouted.

"And where were you,huh? You were supposed to be here when me and your dad got here", she scowled. Those eyes recalled when she used to scold me and Brian. I remembered those eyes scared the hell out of me.

"It's none of your business", I spatted. The next thing happened was she slapped me. She freaking slapped me! I was never being slapped by anyone.

"Eva, stop it", my dad tried to calm her. My mom still gave me her death scowl to me. But for the first time in my life, I wasn't scared of those eyes.

Instead I laughed devillish making them stared at me in confussion.

"Five years and you still haven't changed. You're just getting better", I still laughed.

"What the fuc-", she almost said it but she didn't finished making me laugh even more.

"You're still using the dirty word. Great. At least I know that you're my mom"

It seemed that she wanted to slap me again but my dad stopped her. She glared at him.

"Well, if you're done, I'm going to bed. Oh, by the way if you're still pissed and don't want me to join the dinner tomorrow, I would be so glad. So, chiao", I said dramatically and leave the room.

Hah. Eat that. I knew she would be so pissed with my attitude just now and knowing her, she would tell Brian that I couldn't join them for dinner. Just hope it came true.