Chapter 19: Trouble in Paradise

Since that Thanksgiving incident, Brian didn't talk much. Not even with Ethan. He only talked to Kira. Kira said that he just wanted to be alone.

My parents also didn't say anything after the incident. They didn't even say goodbye when they left which was fine for me.

Days passed, and it's almost Christmas, my favourite kind of holiday. But before the holiday, we would have our final tests.

Now, I was preparing for them. Some of our professors had given us the topics for the tests and being the good student, I tried to start reading the materials.

I was practicing my math when the door knocked. The door opened and it was Ethan. 

"Hey, dinner's ready", he said and smiled to me. I just nodded and he closed back the door.

I got up from my chair and headed to the kitchen. Brian was placing a big plate of lasagna.

I looked at him in shock. He never cooked such thing ever. He tried it one night, and it was awful.

He noticed my look and he chuckled. "Don't worry. It's gonna be good this time. Kira's been teaching me"

I just nodded and took my usual seat. I grabbed a plate and put the lasagna on it. The smell wasn't so bad.

I took a bite of the lasagna and it was surprisingly good. It wasn't amazing but it was a lot better than the last time.

"Good, huh?", Brian said after I swallowed it down.

"Yeah", I said.

"Man, this is not so bad", Ethan said while chewing the food. "The last time you cooked this, it tasted like garbage"

"Shut up" Brian said, fake punch his shoulder.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you that I'll be going to Washington on Monday", Brian said.

"What for? ", Ethan asked.

"I need to attend a court. I didn't know how long though. But it'll be over before Christmas", he said after he noticed my shocked face.

The room became silence and the only thing heard was the sound of us eating and chewing.

Great. I'll be left alone with Ethan. That would be so awkward. Ethan kept taking glances at me but I just ignored him.

We finished the dinner without saying any words. I directly went to my room aftet washing dishes.

I opened my phone, scrolling on my Facebook when I got a text from Mike.

Hey, babe wanna hang out tomorrow?

Sure. Where will we go?

Not sure yet. Just come to my dorm first. 😉

OK. I'll be there tomorrow at 12.

OK. See you 😘

I didn't reply after that. Me and Mike had been going fine this far. No fighting and dramas.

I often heard from my girl friends that they mostly got a fight during their first 3 months together. I gueesed I was lucky, then.

The next morning, I was kind of late.  I woke up at 8 AM. I had to be at Mike's dorm in 3 hours.

After I did my business in the bathroom, I went to the kitchen for breakfast.

Ethan was sitting there reading a newspaper. Brian was nowhere to be seen. He gave me a smile when he saw me.