Chapter 6

Once Jessica reached shore, she then collapsed on her back trembling—she was soaked. Kyle was across from me, I saw the crimson shade under the brink of his nose as he forced himself up as well. He wiped the blood from under his nose, while glancing around slowly looking for K-17 and he reached for his gun. He then glanced my way, I nodded letting him know that I was okay and we both turned our attention to Jessica who was trembling.

 Faltering awkwardly, Kyle managed to take off his jacket and, with my head still ringing and pounding, slowly I strode towards Jessie noticing her bone poking through her flesh.

  “It’s that bad?” she murmured half-heartedly, wincing in pain.

  I lied, “Not at all,” and as I picked Jessie up as carefully as my wobbly arms would allow, she released her soreness with a low whimper and Kyle draped his jacket over her while I carried her back to our vehicle that was at least a mile away.

  We chased that damn creature quite a distance. At first during the initial pursuit it really did seem all that far, but carrying an extra one-hundred fifteen pounds when your vision is beginning to split into two, the right side of you head is aggressively pounding and no adrenaline is pumping through your veins, can make the trip back seem a lot farther away.

 Kyle, noticing my steps swaggering, took Jessie from my arms and we continued to walk in agonizing silence.

 Twenty minutes later our black SUV was spotted in Scarborough Go station where the creature had crashed his vehicle. The damn thing drove his car straight onto the train tracks; of course the train didn’t have any time to stop and collided with the car. We’re lucky no one was hurt, which unfortunately included the creature himself for when we got to the damaged vehicle he was nowhere inside of it. But he left a trail of black blood and that’s how we followed him mostly, until the trail sort of ended and Jessica had said, “He’s going to the bluffs.”

  I raised. “Why would he go there?”    

  “The lake, water,” she informed remembering the imperative information they had provided us when they’d assigned this assignment to Jessica, Kyle and myself.

 And to make our night even more enjoyable, we had to deal with the city cops. Not fun but Kyle dealt with them.

  If I had known what this assignment would have entailed – a chase across town, a car flying into an oncoming train and the creature’s ability to screech pins – I would have gracefully rejected the escaped government experiment. It’s not like they’re providing a bonus for catching their renegade monster. Although they do provide a hell of a medical plan and this trail vaccine I’ve been taking since forever; I can feel it working now. The pain isn’t as bad anymore.

  “I’m okay guys,” Jessica tried to convince half hour later sitting in the back of the car.

 Kyle and I had to strip Jessica, leaving her only in her bra and panties, and her flesh wounds got banged up with items from the first aid kit. She’s lucky we had one of those emergency thermo blankets in the trunk to help keep her warm.

 Kyle said, “Your scapula is fractured and you got shot. What part of that is okay?”

 “I didn’t get shot; it grazed my flesh,” she corrected through her clenched teeth, breathing in the pain as Kyle turned right on a red light.

  “The bone is sticking out of your flesh!” he snapped, “Obviously that is not okay! We are going to the emergency room whether you like it or not!” He finished sounding like a father scolding his child and Jessie taking on a role of a very upset teenager exasperated in the background. But that annoyed sigh had a small dose of pain. Jessie isn’t a fan of hospitals.