Chapter 12

“Life is as complicated as you make it,” says the stranger and of course I jump with shock.

            “Holly crap! What is wrong with you?” And then, upon looking at the dirty-blond haired stranger, at first, I assumed David Beckham; then as my eyes studied him carefully, a small dose of disappointment jolts through me but that’s not saying this stranger deserves any less attention. Dirty blond hair, styled up beautifully. Hazel mesmerizing eyes and a heart-melting smile. For me, he’s as good as David Beckham.

            Chace says, “I’m sorry, I frightened you. I have the tendency to do that.”

 I sucked in a breath. “I should have been paying attention.” A small smile parted my lips. “Wow, it’s been forever.”

            “How are you doing?”

            “Surviving, you?”

            “Same old, same old.”  Same old, is right. A year and half later and he looks scrumptious as ever. Chace was Kaliah’s kick boxing instructor a year ago. We took a liking to each other, but it wasn’t the right time for me. Chace questions, “Whom or what has you pondering in your thoughts?”

            “How did you know I was pondering?” Pondering? I questioned myself. When do I ever use the word pondering?

            “You’re standing in the middle of the biggest mall in Toronto, doing nothing but staring off in the distance; when a beautiful girl like you should be shopping or going on a date with me.” He then parts his lips with a smile to die for.

            I smiled back. “Is that an offer?”

            “It’s a date if you’ll accept.”

            A rush flushes through me. I can feel my cheeks burning. “A Date.” My curiosity peaked.

            “Yes, a date. You know, where a guy takes a girl out and they have awesome conversations.”

            I couldn't help a smile. "Come to think about, I've heard about such a thing."

            "I'll take that as a yes."

            And just as I was about to answer, Anthony exits the store, sulking. Chace pulls out a card, handing it over. “Play it safe with texting. Take a chance with a phone call, long walks in the park and or dinner at the CN Tower.” And he and Anthony walk away—cocky, but sexy.

            I don’t get a chance to say a proper goodbye. I am still, years later, semi convinced that he was David Beckham and, once again lost in my own little bubble of a world, I barely noticed when both of my girls were standing in my vision.

            Nicolle pulled the card out of my hand. “Whose Chace Kos-sun-ookie?”

            Audrina peeked at the card. “One, who’s the hottie and secondly, you’re taking martial arts?”

             I never told the girls about Chace, it would have made no sense at the time because I was still upset about Calvin and they would only force me to go on a date with him and it would have not been fair to Chace. Now I was in a good place. 

            Taking the card back, I inform them of our encounter a while ago and let them know the reason why I didn’t pursue him. I glance at the card now, reading School of Martial Arts, Chace Kusunoki followed by his number.