Chapter 9

Five minutes later, Mya shouted, “Surprise!” as she opened the VIP doors for me to find him – my ex – and I could have killed her.

  Conversely it took me five long seconds before the realization of who was standing before me; before anger had a chance to consume my soul with pure forgotten hatred and I thought to myself that he looked good now. The first second was noticing who he was and what he had meant to me a long time ago. The second was how he changed, physically of course, and his once tawny innocent gaze now seemed like he’d seen way too much—not to mention the scar over his right eye. Third, I wanted to run to him, have him hold me just once more for old times’ sake and tell him how much I’ve truly missed him. Fourth, the hurtful memory of what he did and fifth, anger had ignited with his presence.

  “Surprise,” Calvin maundered, sounding a lot smaller and not too enthused.

  I said to my sister, “What’s he doing here?”

  “It’s my present to you,”

  “Your present to me was a plane ticket to visit you in Las Vegas and the Cleo wanna be.”

  “Okay, the Cleo wannabe was simply for you to experience other things in life and the plane ticket was nothing to what I have in store once you come down.”

  Clenching my jaw, I glared at Mya. “I want him gone.”

  She informed calmly, “Well he came down to see you.”

  “I don’t care. I want him gone!”

  Calvin murmured, “Technically I didn’t come back to Canada for this reason.”

  Mya snapped, “You’re not helping.”

  A bitter smile parted my lips, “Nice to know.”

  “I think I better go,” Calvin said to Mya but looking at me.

  “No, you’re staying,” sis protested.

  “I think he’s not and why are we arguing about this? It’s my birthday and I want him gone,” And when I wasn’t getting what I wanted; which was my ex not in the confined space, breathing in the same air that I am consuming, I brushed past my sister, leaving the room.

To be totally honest, it wasn’t only the fact that Calvin was my ex-boyfriend who crashed my party, but I was still heated from the encounter with that guy and just thinking about him my mind was going all fuzzy. I need to clear my head, get some fresh air.

 Mya grabbed my arm, “Hold on, why are you being so dramatic about this? You know he loves you,”

 Like I really, really needed some fresh air. “Yeah, well maybe he should have thought about that before he stuck his dick into another girl!” and I fixed my glare on Calvin.

 His dark brown eyes flickered with a hurtful emotion, his lip twitched as if wanting to say something and Mya released my arm. Silence held us captive, in its own little world and with time not existing.

 After what seemed like forever, the raging deep slumber was slaughtered when the V.I.P. room door opened, blaring in Soca from the dance floor. Jordan was the first to step into the belly of the beast and he stopped, examining what he had just walked into. Jay first looked at me, then his cousin, and then his gaze twitched back to me and Mya.

 Audrina kind of stumbled into the room laughing with a guy she must have picked up downstairs and Jordan finally said, “Um, are we interrupting something?”

 Kailah heeds my ex, “Cals!” Immediately I knew she was drunk when she ran to him and hugged him. On a normal day she would never do that for the simple fact that Kailah has always had a little school girl crush on my ex and tries to hide it. Hide I say very lightly because we all know, but she doesn’t know that we all know.