Chapter 7

Justice POV

Blue Note Lounge: Two and a half hours previous

  Scream & Shout by Will.i.am and Britney Spears blasted through the sound system in the VIP room and we had an option of hearing the music playing in the club or volume control. The main wall to the back of this room was a one sided window, so we could look out on the dance floor but they couldn’t look in. This place was wicked.

 “Look what we have here, ladies and gentlemen.” That gleaming voice belonged to my petite best friend, Audrina. Don’t let her fool you with her just being 5’4; trust me she has quite a hard to miss attitude. Audrina’s long, straight, white-blonde hair flowed over her shoulders as she picked up a bottle of rum singing the Black Eyed Peas song ‘I Got a Feeln’ and she turned to my sister. “I love it when you come down for visits.”

 Audrina placed down the Bacardi and picked up another bottle. “Tequila baby, we meet once again.” She glanced over the five different liquor bottles in front of us; her eyes sparkled like we were playing her favorite sport—shoe shopping.  

 My alcoholic friend continued her singing, “Ladies, tonight’s the night… Let’s live it up!” She danced around me and Kailah who got in because the bouncer at the door knows my older sister.

 Audrina danced around my guests then stopped in front of Mya. “She got the money, let’s spend it up.” Mya and Nicolle joined her dancing and singing.

 Mya threw her arms around me hugging me tightly and I glanced at Jordan who grinned my favorite half smile.

 He replied, “Gotta love it when she comes down.”

 “Do I really?”

 “Yes you do,” Mya retorted and Jordan gave me a knowing head nod—his handsome hazel eyes, with a hint of grey on the outside complimented his caramel complexion very well. Jordan is my God brother, his father and my father went to medical school together. Jordan and I have been friends for as long as I can possibly remember and I mean as far back as diaper days. I can’t imagine my life without him.

Mya continued, “You’re lucky I lave you.”

 “Am I really?” I raised an eyebrow. “I think at times I can do without your lave.”

 Kailah said, “I hope you lave me just as much when my birthday rolls around in June. I know you know Zac Efron.”

 “Even better,” Mya grinned. “Channing Tatum and I have been buddies recently.”

 “I hate you,” Kailah mumbled, glowering at Mya.

 Mya blew her a kiss. “Love you too lahlah,” pronounced lay-lay; an old nickname Kailah had since forever.

 Audrina grinned ignoring our little sibling bickering. “All the liquor we desire.” She picked up a bottle of Hypnotic, grinning at a couple of Jordan’s boys who he brought along for the ride.

 Nicolle mumbled, rolling her eyes, “Really and truly, drunkard, relax, this is why you get messed up when you go out.” Nicci my down to earth girl gives you logical answers unlike Audrina who is the spur of a moment. Nicolle’s mocha chocolate complexion took the bottle out of Audrina’s hands. “I think I need to hide this bad boy,” and her pink wavy hair fell away in her face as she snatched the bottle away. Dare I mention Nicci has a bad obsession with Nicki Minaj.

 Audrina stole back the bottle. “Nicci, You know you can’t keep me and baby from each other—it’s an addiction.”

 “I believe they have a name for that.” Jordan glanced in our direction, disconnecting himself from a conversation he was having with a few random girls I brought from our campus city.

 Kailah coughed, “Alcoholic…

 Nicolle mumbled, “I sense AA meeting in the near future.”

 Smiling and ignoring everyone around her, my girl shared out shot glasses. “Toast to the birthday girl!”

 “You read my mind,” Mya parried striding over to the table, followed by the four boys and some other girls from our campus city, and on a count of three we all clinked our glasses and heads snapped back.

 Tonight was definitely going to be a good night; I was going to make sure of that and technically I would be lying if I said what Selena told me earlier on didn’t bug me. I mean, I don’t believe in psychics; I don’t believe in anything that can’t be explained through a logical answer. Everything has an explanation. So if I come to terms with the whole incident, that doesn’t only assume that I now believe in Cleo wannabes; it also goes against everything I have been taught, it goes against science and what science says is correct—I now have to second guess and pursue other options against science, against my belief system. Oh my god, what has gotten into me!? This is crazy and I’m crazy for overthinking something so small and so manageable.

 What’s wrong with you, Justice? Tonight is your night. You will have fun. You will pick up some lucky guy and you will get drunk. Tonight’s your night!