Chapter 16

Justice POV

 One hundred, ninety-nine, ninety-eight, ninety-seven, ninety-six, ninety-five, ninety-four, ninety-three, ninety-two, ninety-one, ninety. I counted backwards all the way to number one and sleep still hadn’t found me. I wondered who came up with such a theory; counting sheep or counting anything for that matter never worked on me, so I don’t why I thought it would work tonight, or should I say this morning—three in the morning to be exact.

Irritated, I sat up in bed, glancing over at Erin, and with the light shining in through the window between our beds, I watched her sleeping peacefully and I envied her bad. Ugh. Why can I not sleep?

Erin was an old friend of mine and she was the girl who was dragged by throat, throughout downtown Toronto by that weird homeless guy. Supposedly though, she didn’t suffer from any serious injuries but still she had quite a tale to tell going forward, like someone who was held captive for days, or survived a supposed fatal accident.

Erin and I have a long past, a drama filled past. Think of Serena and Blair from the TV show Gossip Girl and remember how bad Serena Van Der Woodsen was in the beginning; her horrible reputation, well, that’s Erin times ten. Drinking, boys, betrayal, backstabbing, drugs—my god, you name it and she has done it. Except Erin is not white and blonde; she’s half Korean and her hair colour is orange brownish. Myself, I have a slight darker complexion than Blair, with a full head of light brown curly hair.

Have you ever had a toxic person in your life? Whether it may be a boyfriend/girlfriend, parent, sibling whoever and even though it would be painful to cut them out of your life, you know you would be better off? Well, Erin was the dandelion growing in my garden and making it unsightly; and even though dandelions offer nutrients for shallower-rooting plants, and add minerals and nitrogen to the soil, it doesn’t matter because the yellow flowers make a visually perfect garden imperfect.

Saying all that, we do have along history and if Erin ever needed anything, I’d be there for her. Simple as that.

 But I digress… Erin was released from the hospital days after the second semester began and she returned to school two weeks into the new semester, which was yesterday evening. This early morning was a lovely Wednesday.

Throwing my blanket aside, I jump up and blindly seek out my track pants and sweater with the little light shining in from the window. Leaving my dorm room, I grab my arena bag. I knew that the only way to help me sleep was swimming.

Reaching the foyer, I exchanged my slippers for boots and my robe for my winter jacket and headed outside, admiring how superbly white everything is. My footprints were the first so far to imprint the sidewalks and I hated that I was ruining a perfect canvass. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan of winter, but I know beauty when I see it.

There wasn’t much going on at three in the morning on a Wednesday, in Blossom Hill City Campus, only at the Veni, Vidi, Vici home there was a black sports car parked outside and I didn’t pay much attention to the guy standing in the empty streets. As I walked further down the street, I heard honking.

It was half past four when I got back home and knocked out on the sofa. Before I knew it, the sun was up; I could smell all kinds of breakfast coming from in the kitchen and I heard random voices all throughout the house. At Theroposa Cheir, which was my sorority home, everyone was up and getting ready for another day of school.

John A. Mac Donald University has seven campus homes in Blossom Hill City Campus. We students also like to refer to our school as Jmac and our campus city B.H.C.C.

The seven homes in B.H.C.C are as follows: Theroposa Cheir and Diaírei kaì basíleue are female only. Sigma and Chi are boys only.  Aièn aristeúein and Láthe biō’sas are unisex. Ηη-Êlthon, eîdon, eníkēsa, also often referred to as Veni, Vidi, Vici which is home to students who went up beyond the GPA level—or to parents who donate a substantial amount to Jmac annually.