Chapter 21

Jordan freaked, “What the hell!” and he tossed her off of him. Erin scrambled to her feet, picked Jordan up and threw him across the room. His head smashed into the window cracking the glass and he fell hard to the ground not moving- his head bleeding.

Erin’s head snapped to me and inhuman noise escaped. A growling noise if I may say so- a noise you would hear a wild animal make.

I mumbled terrified, “What’s wrong with you?” My eyes twitching to Jordan and the blood.

“Justice,” Erin says coldly, tilting her head breathing heavy with little sweat beads forming on her forehead. Her brownish, orange hair fell away around her face and brown eyes studied me. I felt like crying, I didn’t know whether Jordan was dead or alive. My eyes trailed the cracked window, broken glass and my mind replayed over and over what just happened only a few seconds ago. There was no understanding with the horrid memories.

Erin sleeked a foot forward still watching me, while the music blasted around us and I could hear the loud voices of excitement and intoxication. She came close, right in my face close, and looked me dead in my pupils and questioned.

“What’s that smell?” it was a whisper, her breath smelling of liquor.

Shrugging I shook my head. All I wanted to do was go to Jordan’s side. “I don’t know,”

Erin leaned forward smelling my neck for the scent she seeked and I flinched involuntarily moving aside slowly; carefully, eyes lingering on Jordan and decided right then, that I wanted to go to my friend. Taking small steps, I made the slow transition and when I saw him move slightly, groaning in pain for only a second I practically sprinted to his aide and I fell to my knees beside him.

I shook his broad shoulders. “Jay, wake up. Say something, please anything.” Jordan did not move, not a groan of any sound but his pulse was beating- my only reassurance that he was okay.

Then I turned to Erin, my face hot and eye lids heavy with liquid. “What’s wrong with you?” she didn’t respond. Erin only watched me with an eerie blank stare, as she inhaled like she was congested. The sweat beads on her forehead broke, slipping down the side of her face; multiple of them, one by one. Her silence was making me uneasy, annoyed, angry as Erin sniffed the air around her. “Why aren’t you saying anything?” I demanded.

And still, silence.

“Erin!” I said as she sniffed angling her body slightly towards the door. Nose breathing in and out deeply, and I wondered what kind of smell could capture her attention like that. “Look at me Erin, look what you did.”

Nothing.

Now standing up abruptly I rushed at her grabbing her shoulders, frustrated and knew drugs had something to do with all this spacing out; however, that wouldn’t explain that she tossed Jordan aside like a bag of potatoes. There is not a damn thing that would explain that action. “What is wrong with you Erin?” I cried literally now, because I didn’t know what else to do. I was scared, confused, worried, a lot of emotions was running through my head and the only outlet was the tears.

Erin pushed me then, the force so strong unto the bed, she and Jordan were lying on top of- the only reaction I seemed to have gotten out of her yet. I could have shit my pants. Instead I felt my heart exhilarating, felt the adrenaline pulsing through my veins and wondered if I made the slightest movements would that give her reason to hurt me like she did Jordan.

“I-I-I need your body,” says Erin stammering, breathing heavy and watching me with her distant pupils.

I mumbled, “I don’t know what you mean.”

“D-d-dying body. Dying body,”

A small cry escaped my lips, “I don’t understand, are you, dying Erin?” why is she talking like that!?

Erin points to me, “N-need your body. Need to live,” And Erin charges towards me, growling and mumbling something about a body and death; and then, with a blink of an eye, she jerked her head back enraged. I flinched involuntarily with the inhuman noise rumbling from within her throat and noticed at the back of her was club guy, Dante.

He had a good grip on her lengthy hair. “I told you cock blocking isn’t cool.” He grumbled and myself on the other hand, my spine was now connected to the back wall- I had not noticed my scared, quick movements to seek out some sort of sanctuary.

I felt the tears escaping, fleeing this body of trepidation and I couldn’t stop them. I wanted more than anything to stop crying because I didn’t know why I was shedding these tears. I did not know for what purpose and for whom. And most of all I didn’t like the way Club guy was glancing at me; because this stare was different, this stare made me want to gaze back into his blue eyes and be devoured, despite the awkward situation at hand. I heard Selena Sanchez voice echoing softly in the background.

Forever to be lost.’ Her voice hummed- words repeating.

It was right then when I came to the realization, when we both were snapped back to this reality noticing Erin twisting herself so she and Dante were semi face to face and she pushed him sent him flying across the small room, like she did me; expect I landed safely on a bed. Dante on the other hand collided with a dresser- the items on top tumbling to the ground. Strands of Erin’s hair floated in the air, where Dante stood only a few seconds ago.

This is all a dream and you’re going to wake up any second now. I tried to convince myself huddling closer into the back wall, as if it would swallow me and take me away. This is a very bad nightmare.

Erin slanted her body, eyes pinned on me and quickly, too fast Erin was in front of me, with a blink of an eye and she pushed my face to the side, holding it against the wall. I cried in pain and fright.

Erin licked my face, “Your smell…” She stammered.

The next second, Erin wasn’t on top of me pinning my face to the wall. In fact everything was like an old film that skips. I heard her growling, mixed with glass shattering, a man’s voice cursing and flashes of colours.

Logically speaking Erin should still be in my face and I should not be staring at an empty space, seeing an open closet door with clothes hanging inside. Logically speaking right now, I should be crying, begging Erin to calm down and promising to get her help. Logically speaking, Dante shouldn’t be holding Erin out of the window to my right, when just a second ago, he was on the floor across the room. Mind you, this room is small but logically speaking, that is not possible.

Nimbly my distant attention was given to the broken glass, mesh and pieces of the window frame on the floor. My eyes shifted to Jordan because some of the fragments fell on my unconscious friend. Then my attention shifted to the unavoidable elephant in the room.

Dante says callously, “Don’t take this personal.” And drops Erin from the second floor of my sorority; leaving me in utter shock trying to grasp what he had just done and trying to rationalize how did all this happen in less in five seconds.