Chapter 18: Faded

Winter break was amazing for generally everyone, but alas, it was over in the blink of an eye. People were back at school and sucked back into horrendous studying and teachers that made everyone question how much they actually cared about education. At least, though, the six boys had each other.

Dean and Cas had already gotten caught multiple times for PDA (they were just holding hands half of those times- it was bullshit), Sam and Gabriel had one of the most pure relationships, putting them second to Adam and Samandriel and Michael and Lucifer we're going stronger than the rest of them, being an even more perfect mix of best friends, competitors and lovers than Keith and Lance. (@ readers I applaud you if you get it).

The competition part of Michael and Lucifer's relationship came in many different ways, but the most common way was their routine of racing to school each morning. On this morning, Lucifer still had to take Gabe to school, as Cas was riding with Sam and Dean, and Gabe was being a bit temperamental, putting Michael in the lead since it was taking Lucifer longer to leave the house.

Though Lucifer would beg to differ, the only reason that the two boys raced to school was a way for Michael to make sure Luce gets to school on time. By the time Luce finally got to school, Michael was already sitting in homeroom, talking to a boy Lucifer had never seen before. The boy was obviously flirting with Michael, and Lucifer couldn't tell if Michael knew that or not as he was smiling and nodding along to everything the other senior said.

Lucifer made his steps a bit louder as he walked into the room a bit slower, hoping to get Michael's attention. It clearly didn't work, as seconds later the mystery boy grabbed Michael's chin, pulling him in for a kiss.

Lucifer silently sharply inhaled, staring at the two boys like they were a horror movie, terrified and anticipating, but never looking away. And the most horrifying part of this little movie, was Michael's face slowly transitioning from surprised or shocked to blank as he closed his eyes and kissed back.

Lucifer couldn't breathe. It wouldn't be bad if Michael had pushed the guy away, but he didn't, he didn't make a single move to push the guy away. Lucifer dropped his books on the ground, them landing with a loud thud causing the boys to break their kiss and look over to see the commotion. Lucifer checked, double checked and triple checked to make sure that it was in fact Michael, and it was, and that just made his heart shatter.

"Mr. Novak, I'd appreciate it if you took a seat, the bell is about to ring," the teacher said, interrupting Lucifer's horrified staring.

Lucifer took a deep breath, trying to look as composed as possible. "No thank you, actually," Lucifer said, kicking the book on top of the dropped pile over to Michael, turning his heel and fleeing the classroom without another word.

He was almost at the school exit, and Lucifer could feel a panic attack quickly creeping up on him. He was panting, his heart was beating faster than ever and it felt like his chest was caving in. He collapsed against the wall, his breath so loud he could hardly hear the footsteps that seemed to be chasing after him.

What did I do wrong? Am I not good enough for him? Is it how I act? How I dress? How I look? Did I try to rush things? Did I go too slow? Does he just not like me? Has he hated me this entire time? Has this all been a lie? Is he trying to get back at me for something? Thoughts were racing through Lucifer's head as he struggled to pull himself together and out of the school. Don't do this to yourself, the rational part of Lucifer's brain pleaded, don't have a panic attack over a guy just because he cheated on you. He's a piece of dirt. But deep down Lucifer knew Michael wasn't a piece of dirt, couldn't be a piece of dirt. And Lucifer loved him, which made everything hurt more.

Lucifer was out of the building and almost at the street to get to his car when he heard someone yell, "Lucifer!" To Luce's luck, it was Michael. Putting on an overly confident façade, Lucifer just threw up his middle finger without even turning around. Of course he wouldn't turn around, tears were slowly beginning to roll down his face. To Lucifer, crying is like masturbating; you do it a lot, but never in front of people.

Lucifer finally regained control of his breath, but he lost control of his emotions. Tears were flowing freely down his face and he wiped them away in anger, cursing himself for feeling this way. He began to cross the road, not looking as he heard footsteps pounding after him when he heard Michael screech even louder, "LUCIFER!" Lucifer stopped and turned around, only to be suddenly met with the sound of squealing breaks and a car horn.

Everything was a blur of images, the school upside down and sideways until he only saw the blackness of the asphalt and heard Michael's voice saying, "Hello 911, my boyfriend just got hit by a car..."

"Not your boyfriend anymore, you ass," Lucifer said bitterly before he could no longer see or hear anything except for the darkness of his mind.

Whoops~ looks like my boy Luce has been having a rough day.