Chapter 6: What Is Batman Without His Robin?

The whole school was allowed to go home early in order for a police investigation to take place. I watched as officers parked up by my school, ushering us out while asking us if we were okay.

Jazmine's hands trembled as she hugged her back pack. I wrapped a reassuring arm around her shoulders as we continued down the hall in silence.

"You aren't actually going to find him, right? He could be dangerous."

Jazmine muttered, cautiously eyeing the students around us who were either shaken up or excited that the day had ended early. There was no in between.

"I don't know. The guy seemed pretty determined he was going to find m- Red Hawk." I whispered back and she gave me a look of caution.

"He hurt Mr Moore! God knows what he plans on doing to Ben." She sighed as we walked out of the school gates, the police officers giving as wary looks and I had the paranoid feeling that they could see right though me.

I ducked my head down as we walked into the street.

"The guy said that Red Hawk was the 'last member of his group'. What's that supposed to mean?" Jazmine had started feeling more angry and confused than scared by the time we were half way to her house.

"I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that other Supers exist." I replied.

"Supers?" She gave me a questioning look. "That's a pretty cool name."

"I didn't name them, one of the guests on NewsNow came up with that. I think it's even a trending hashtag on Twitter."

"Hm. Well, don't do anything stupid. Especially before telling me."

We stopped outside her house. Well, I think it classified more as a mansion but to me it was just known as my second home.

"Want to come in for a bit? Milo hasn't seen you in a while."

I pondered over the offer before realising that it was probably best knowing who kidnapped my superhuman friend before he was killed.

"I've got to get back, psychology textbooks await." I gave her a thin-lipped smile.

"You're the worst liar!" She laughed.

"I'm the best at lying! It's what I do for a living!"

"Well, you are terrible at lying to me. I know you're going to sneak back to your HQ and search for your boyfriend."

"I'm doing my civic duty as a friend to make sure he isn't killed."

"I call absolute bull-"

"Bye!" I ran off down the road, waving frantically behind me and earning a lot of strange stares from on-lookers.

<><><><><><>

I decided if there was any place Ben knew where to find me, it would be at the abandoned army base. I took along my computer, disguise and a jumbo pack of Haribos. I didn't know how long I was going to be there.

Sitting comfortably on a cold slab of broken wall, I popped a squidgy Coke bottle into my mouth and relaxed my head against the crumbling frame of the building.