Chapter 38: Villains Don't Fall In Love

I didn't wait to see his reaction, it felt like every eye in that hall was on me. I started walking through, smiling simply at merely satisfied faces and I started taking mental notes on the behaviour of each table I walked past. I know I have to get TerraStorm and the others out, that's priority, but intercepting their plan seems risky, despite how clueless they must be of the threat. I could spill red wine on one of the guys' shirts, or something bigger so they all have an excuse to leave, but it would bring too much attention and that's the last thing I need, especially without my mask. I circle my way around the tables with only a few between me and TerraStorm's and I, professionally as possible, start to make my way closer and closer. It takes me a few quick glances, but I soon realised that even without his mask... I could still recognise him.

"Uh-uh." The back of my arm was brushed and I swivelled around, my heart beating so hard and fast that I worried someone would be able to hear it. I was faced with an old man, his grey hair fastened to his skull with shiny gel and his eyes as bright and blue as if they belonged to a baby's.

"Sorry, sir." I said politely, my voice laced with sickening sweetness. "What can I get you?"

"Ah, Cabernet Sauvignon, I presume? That's what I requested, after all."

I didn't know my wines like I knew my weapons, so I nodded with absolutely nothing but the desperation to get away driving me. He picked it from my tray, swirled it pretentiously and sipped. I held my breath.

"Beautiful." He sighed. "Thank you."

I was more than thankful to be let go and without any attention required that could have dismantled my plan. I manoeuvred between two more tables, getting closer and closer and, when I glanced up, TerraStorm's eyes were still fixed to mine.

Stop looking at me, you idiot. I thought angrily. If NASEB were keeping their eyes on him and his were on me, I could become a target or, worse, they would recognise me. As if he could hear what I was thinking, he glanced away and back to Veronica. I started to approach them, though the need to be indistinct and unidentifiable kept me from running towards him, as much as I wanted to. I really couldn't explain that deeply-rooted feeling that had me wanting to break all the rules and tell him why I was here and how much of a mistake it was to not run away with him and the others when he had offered.

"Cabernet Sauvignon?" I used my newly-learnt terminology to add a convincing vibe to my overall disguise, though it only seemed to bring an amused smile to TerraStorm's lips. I wanted to smile with him, I wanted to laugh with him... God, there were so many things I wanted to say.

"No." He shot back and, for a split second, I wondered if I'm talking to the right person. But it had to be him; I would recognise those eyes anywhere. "But the lady will."

It stung for a moment, but I do as he requested and pour the golden liquid into her tall, thin glass. Veronica gave me a look, one momentarily incomprehensible but clear to have the worst intentions. I gulped. It was obvious; nothing was going to get cleared up while everyone was in this state and I knew I had to do something about it, starting with TerraStorm. As I drew the bottle back towards the tray, I jolted it to the side and watched as the liquid landed onto TerraStorm's clean, white shirt. Which, well, wasn't so clean anymore.

"Are you kidding me?"

"I'm so sorry." I mumbled, placing the bottle down onto the table and picking up a napkin. "Sorry, sir, I'm so clumsy."

His eyes met mine, his lips pressed into a straight line as if he wasn't acting at all. As if he really didn't want me to be here. How could I blame him? I was imposing on his plan, ruining it with my artificial clumsiness.