Chapter 18: The Heist ~ Part 2

They had been gone too long.

TerraStorm and Xedos had left at exactly 21:30 to ambush the trucks in the garage underneath the casino. The guy in the gas mask, who I had learned called himself Detonator, was responsible for looping the security footage. They were supposed to take care of the staff members surrounding the back entrance and by 'take care' I mean 'beat the shit out of'. Not long after, we would all join down there together, fill up the bags and destroy any evidence that something unnatural had happened. After all, we didn't need any more 'Super' suspicions circulating the media.

I checked my watch.

22:11.

I turned to Veronica and Charlotte who seemed a lot less worried than I was, judging by the impatient yet uncaring expressions on their faces.

"We should go down there." I said finally. I may have not been an expert on how these heists worked, but I knew it shouldn't take almost an hour to knock out a couple of people and gain access to the security footage, especially when there were three of them down there.

"If they have failed, they will tell us over the earpiece." Veronica sighed, admiring her delicately manicured nails rather than the gate where TerraStorm and the others had disappeared through.

I still wasn't convinced and the lack of attention they gave to the whole situation pissed me off.

"Fine, I'll go down then." I spat, jumping up from my crouched position at the edge of the roof.

"You're going to get yourself killed!"

"And why do you care?" I snapped, biting the words as they escaped my lips.

They both stared at me with an expression of sudden interest and, with that, I stepped off the roof.

<><><><><><>

The trip down to the back entrance was short and exhilarating. Strands of my hair drooped over my face and I puffed them aside.

I tilted my head around the corner of the garage, my heart thumping so loudly I couldn't concentrate on what I was going to do next.

I peeked inside the dimly lit garage which, to my surprise, was completely empty. I checked my surroundings before striding across, making a quick 360 degree turn in case there was something I hadn't seen.

As soon as I turned the corner to the back entrance of the casino, I spotted multiple Land Rovers parked and abandoned. The trunks were open and so were the passenger doors.

Brushing passed them, I checked the seats and under the trucks on the off chance that TerraStorm was hiding, or worse, beaten unconscious.

But they weren't there.

For the hundredth time, I tried getting a response through the earpiece, but no luck.

I was ready to alert the others and search the casino up and down when I heard a faint crackling sound coming from the small office block to my left. I narrowed my eyes and read the words on the front of the door.

Security office.

Bingo.

<><><><><><>

It took me a mere few seconds to locate the screen that showed the security footage of the garage. But when I looked more closely at the little rectangular box in the corner of the monitor, nothing was there. I peered out of the window where the trucks were parked.

The security camera was facing the trucks, so why wasn't it showing up?

I hit my head with my hand when I realized.