Chapter 35: The One With No Plan

It was about time I stopped messing around. I mean, in every sticky situation I found myself in, I always followed my first instinct. That's what had landed me in so much trouble. That and my lack of honest relationships. But, with slight difficulty, I managed to push those thoughts to the back of my mind and focus. I wasn't about to screw this one up.

Hiding behind a dark column next to two empty conference rooms, I listened as the sharp clapping of work heels and suit shoes strode past me, all identical in their pace and with evil just oozing from their footsteps.

I didn't even think about the Supers I had just met. To me, they weren't a direct threat. So I returned the favour.

Once the latest passerby had disappeared behind a pair of chunky, metal double doors, I was ready to swoop into the hallway and follow my instincts.

But recent experiences stopped me. I couldn't do this, not without a plan. Like I had already admitted to myself; it was about time I stopped messing around.

Instead, I skimmed my eyes across the walls, the doors and anything in general that could aid me in my mission. And, as if it were some kind of reward for staying put a little longer, a ceiling vent caught my eye, hovering a few metres directly above my head.

Bingo.

I had to be quiet with my attempt at getting up there, but also had to conserve my Telk energy. What if things got out of control and I had to make a quick escape? What if they knew I was here?

A broom rested in between two trash bins and I picked it up hastily. Manoeuvring the entrance to the vent to one side, I pulled myself down into a squat and jumped up, catching the side of the entrance with both hands.

With the help of the daily muscle workout class I used to perform in the HQ, I used my upper body strength to scramble up inside of the vent.

I let out a puff. I was in.

Before I could let myself bask in relief, I slid across the vent slowly, trying to work out the best route to all the evil hotspots of the cooperation.

If I had blueprints, or atleast a map, I could have been out within 20 minutes. But I didn't. It was going to be a long trip.

<><><><><><>

My chest pooled with excitement when I opened the vent to see myself floating above a science lab. Empty beakers, white cabinets and dirtied lab coats could be seen dotted around the room. It looked like it was frequently used and, perhaps, a common place to discuss clever, top secret schemes.

I pulled the first condenser microphone out of my chest pocket. Peering around the room, I noticed that the door was locked and no one could be seen crossing the hallway. Yet.
I slipped out of the vent and landed gracefully onto a lab table, studded with tiny, glass equipment.

My fingers felt around the edge of the table, feeling for a space to plant the microphone. I had to be quick and the nervous pace of my heartbeat wasn't helping.

I stuck the device underneath the table, hidden away well enough so that it wouldn't be discovered anytime soon.

Then I slipped back into the vent and listened as someone started playing with keys outside the laboratory door.