Chapter 28: What A Super Surprise

I wasn't sure why Jazmine had made this decision, but she had; my dress was going to be blue.

Standing impatiently outside of her walk-in wardrobe, I watched as she dug her head between silky, vibrant reds, but she pulled out a dark, striking gown... a blue one.

"Isn't red sort of my signature colour?" I questioned. Though the idea of wearing blue wasn't necessarily strange or awkward in any way, Jazmine had been so fixed that I fit with my red regime.

"Well..." She hooked her fingers over the end of a pair or silky pumps. "What's wrong with mixing it up a little?"

I shook my head.

"Nothing, just surprised, that's all."

She continued selecting accessories and styling equipment, all things I had become vaguely familiar with over the past few months. She worked humbly on my look, without the usual pre-event giddiness and desperation to fulfil her self-claimed responsibilities.

"Jazz, what's wrong?" I didn't beat around the bush in showing her my awareness that her attitude was a little off. "You're not your usual self."

"Nothing."

"Jazz." I said more sternly, hating the fixed, solid expression of faux relaxation on her pretty face.

"Fine." She dropped the curling iron -look at my stylistic terminology!- onto a stand and huffed. "I don't like Ben."

I pursed my lips with surprise.

She didn't like Ben? What was not to like about Ben?

I raised my eyebrows in surprise, my mouth making an oval shape as I let it sink in, which didn't take long.

"How long have you not liked him for?" I asked, my eyes scanning her face for any pre-conceived signs.

"Well, the moment I met him, truthfully." She began, sliding her hand up her right arm with discomfort. "But when you started dating, I realised his actions were a little... off."

I didn't respond with a defensive comeback, which I felt was very un-girlfriend like of me.

Then, with a final, sombre sigh, she concluded her feelings.

"I'm suspicious, Rose."

I ran my tongue over my bottom lip, my mouth suddenly dry. Jazmine's readings of other people were always very accurate, it was a natural gift (along with her talent in the fashion side of things).

"But... he's great, Jazz. I thought you'd like him, he's any girls dream guy."

Regretfully, she picked up the curling iron once more and wrapped a final, large chunk of dark blonde around the hot metal.

"But, Rose, you're not just 'any girl'."

She released the curl and let it bounce down over my shoulder, switching it off and packing it away. I picked up Ben's gift from the desk and clasped it around my neck, the blue pearl sitting prettily over my collarbone.

I stood up, now admiring my look a little less than usual. Her hard work had been for a cause she didn't approve of, which made me feel selfish.

"I need to tell you something." I let out a sigh. "Ben's actions have been a bit off. Apparently after I had had a few drinks, he, well, he interrogated me about TerraStorm."

This time, her mouth formed a round 'O', her eyebrows knitted together with concern.

But, as Ben pulled up in his BMW and a crisp bow tie circling his collar, the tension of the situation somehow faded and, once again, I was wrapped up in his good looks and forgiving charm.

<><><><><><>

I didn't expect to see him that night, but what would prom be without a few unexpected hiccups?

Pouring another glass of punch, I visited the outskirts of the well-decorated hall. I kept to myself mostly.

Unfortunately, Jazmine was unable to come. Her presence was required at some other conference and she had left on a private jet with her parents not long after helping me get ready.

As for Ben, he was tangled up in a heated debate with a few other members of the football team and I, not wanting to reveal how suspicious I was, let him have his fun elsewhere.

I hated the feeling. I was suspicious of someone I was supposed to love. Someone who had saved me from NASEB's haunting attack of my HQ only a few nights ago.

I sipped on my fruit punch as I stared out at the field of freshly cut grass that surrounded the venue.

But there was a figure standing by a tree not far from me, looking in.

I didn't think anything of it until the figure stepped forward and the moonlight highlighted their face... their mask.

A long breath escaped my lips and, without hesitation, I opened the sliding doors and stepped onto the thick, damp grass.

My fast paced walking turned into a slow jog as I got further and further away from the venue, my eyes adjusting to the character I hadn't seen in so long. A wide smile spread on my lips.

"Hey." I breathed out, my eyes running over TerraStorm's face, scanning for any signs that he had run into trouble.

He smirked- God how I missed that smirk- and his eyes burned into mine.

"Hey."

<><><><><><>

A/N:

Hey guys!

How is everyone's holiday going? Personally, I've spent more time lying in bed than I have anywhere else but the summer has only just started for us.

As for the chapter, I hope you guys enjoyed it and there is a crazy amount in store to come, especially in the next few updates as it'll be nearing the end... sort of.

Anyway, enjoy your holiday wherever you are and don't forget to tell me about your suspicions!

Until next time,

~SkyHunterXoX