Chapter 20: The Great Escape

It was a little uncomfortable sleeping with my mask on, but it beat having to take the bus all the way home.

I stirred awake as I lay sprawled out on the large, cushiony mattress of heaven as I dug my face further into the pillow. I figured that if I refrained myself from being able to breathe (hence me suffocating myself with a cushion), it would give me motivation to get up and continue living.

I swung myself upwards like some sort of out-of-control puppet and immediately spotted myself in the mirror.

I had bed hair; it was static-y and shot up in random places.

I also noticed the scratch by my lip, the dried blood that I had missed while cleaning myself up in the fanciest HQ bathroom I had ever seen.

The events of the evening before came flooding back in one big wave of overwhelming chaos.

After TerraStorm passed out a second time, Xedos and I had carried him down the stairs while I used the last remaining fraction of my energy to make sure that all doors were locked behind us.

Veronica and Charlotte met us by the range rovers with bags of money in the boot, ushering us into the car. We all fled back to the HQ, let TerraStorm and Xedos head straight up to bed while the rest of us threw cash notes in the air until we were too exhausted to do it any longer.

The rest of the night involved me prying bottles of various alcoholic beverages out of their hands before they whipped off their mask or did something else equally stupid.

Instead, they danced on TerraStorms fancy pool table and took countless numbers of selfies.

They even convinced me to partake in a few of them.

While I had some incredibly expensive champagne to heighten the experience of being filthy rich, I did not get nearly as intoxicated as the girls.

A small grin etched across my mouth as I reminisced over the evening and I began pulling on the rest of my disguise.

As I prepared for the long day ahead of me, I continued to dwell on every single moment of the heist that I hadn't been able to think about yet.

I paused and my grin faded slightly as I remembered the brief moment between TerraStorm and I up on the penthouse balcony.

How could I have let something so small impact how I felt towards another person? Half of me was glad that nothing happened, it would have saved the hassle and the preparation for the 'what are we?' conversation that would have undoubtedly taken place down to the fact I was a clueless and inexperienced teenager.

I shook my head to rid the thoughts that clouded my brain from logical and strategic thinking.

Deciding to avoid any sort of confrontation or awkward conversation, I slipped out of the guest room and tiptoed across the walkway that hovered high above the main panel.

A harmony of laughs echoed around the cave and I peered over the banister only to see the entire team sharing early-morning hot cocoa and sitting around in pyjamas that closely resembled their Super outfits.

A heavy feeling weighed down on my chest as a part of me wanted to jump over the banister and join them all for some sort of fun family breakfast.

The last time I could remember having a breakfast with my family was when, well, maybe at age 12? It was just before my father got arrested, around the time I blew up my birthday cake.