Chapter 36: The Beginning of a New Beginning

"Telekinesis. That's... that's an enviable power."

The girl Super, dressed in all black like a revamped Catwoman, commented, as she craned her neck to look at me from the passenger seat. Her and the red-haired boy, who I had found out called himself The Mindwave, were eager to talk once we escaped, though the man navigating the vehicle was not. We were now stuck in traffic, only five minutes away from the town square where I had asked them to drop me off. 

"What are yours?" I asked, watching as she rubbed the skin under her mask, almost lifting it off her face.

"Good question." She remarked. "I don't know... yet."

I cocked my head sideways, my eyebrows knitted together and, even without turning to look, she knew what I was thinking.

"I have powers, there's evidence, but I haven't used them yet."

"How..."

"- do I know that I'm a Super? I was tested on by NASEB, there's proof and everything. And, clearly, I wasn't one of the failed test subjects."

"We only keep her around because she's smart. Really smart." The Mindwave snickered and she gave him an unreadable look. 

I nodded slowly.

"What about you?" I asked him. "I didn't get a chance to see yours."

"Would have been hard to see it considering its invisible." He remarked. "It's mind manipulation. I make people forget things, create new, false memories or, you know, just obey what I ask them to do."

I was jealous, that sounded like the perfect power, but something that could easily turn you nasty, not that I suspected that he was. The car came to halt just behind my favourite Chinese take-out and I unbuckled my seatbelt. 

"Look, this was, well interesting, but I really have to go."

Just before I could open the door, The Mindwave placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Wait, before you go, I didn't say thank you."

"No need." I shot back. 

"No, hang on. I owe you big time for saving my life back there. If you need anything..." He slipped something out of the small compartment between the passenger and driver seat. "Here's my number."

I took the card from between his fingers, glancing over the pretty font and giving him a final smile. I slid out of the car just as the engine began to roar again and ran off before anyone could question why there a cosplayer roaming the streets of downtown Kingsly Point. 

<><><><><><>

Jazz and I ambled speedily between rows and rows of square, identical storage units, each as dull and equivocally huge as each other. I was, of course, in Rose's clothes now, identifiable by the copper-coloured Vans and dark jeans. The day was slowly turning grey and late, with the cloud-choked sky suggesting that we weren't going to be dry for long. I counted the numbers of each unit as we trotted along. 

"Ben was asking about you." Jazmine broke the silence, which had been maintained for a full five minutes since we arrived at the place. My insides froze.

"What did you tell him?"

She did a little skip, catching up with me and clenching her hands together in front of her.