Chapter 10: The Best Friend, The Bad Guy And The Heist.

He was dressed in a classic, crisp black tuxedo with a neat bow tie pulling the whole look together.

He glanced around, a smirk tugging at his lip as he scanned the crowds.

Then his eyes landed on me.

I held my breath momentarily, praying he wouldn't recognize me. But when his eyes lingered on mine, I knew any chance I had of going unnoticed had been completely extinguished.

His smile dropped for a second before returning wider than before.

He started making his way through the crowds of people, his eyes still locked on mine.

Half of me wanted to sprint up the stairs and control TerraStorm to go flying out of a window, but the other half of me, the less chicken side, forced me to stay exactly where I was.

"We meet again." He smirked.

I tipped my head to the side.

"How very James Bond of you." I chuckled. "I didn't take you as the cliche type."

He shrugged.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, quickly peaking behind him to see if Jazmine was anywhere in sight. She wasn't.

"I... I came because..." He looked almost scared of the question, but his natural confident smirk took place on his face again after a brief moment. "A friend invited me."

I crossed my arms over my chest and furrowed my eyebrows.

Him? In a place like this? It was highly unlikely he came here to sip on expensive champagne and mingle among rich people. Very rich people.

"That's absolute bull." I laughed and, immediately, he seemed taken aback.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you are telling porky pies. I think you came here to do something bad."

"Mm, and what makes you think that?"

The tone of my voice completely contrasted with my actions as I fumbled nervously with my fingers.

"Lets think. You are a villain. You have powers. This is a very, very expensive place, owned by someone with lots of money."

"Before you-"

"I haven't finished." I deadpanned, radiating an amused grin at the expression of his slight vulnerability. "Lot's of people are here tonight which means that there is a pretty good chance that in the next, hm, 2 minutes or so, there is going to be a distraction. A big one. Security will be unavoidably vulnerable due to the large number of guests here, so this would be the perfect time to do something, well, evil."

He crossed his arms defiantly over his chest.

"Join me." He didn't hesitate to offer. "We will split the cash."

"Not a chance in hell."

He took a deep breath, his mouth shaped into a irritated scowl.

"I really want to electrocute you right now."

"The feeling is mutual."

As I said that, the room fell into complete darkness and there was a scattered cry of surprise from around the room.

"Okay, so a little earlier than anticipated..."

When I reached my arm out, TerraStorm remained in front of me.

Why was he still here?

Why wasn't he running upstairs and stealing something from a secret vault so that I could get to it before he did?