Chapter 26: Mother Knows Best

Hey guys!

I hope you guys are all good 😊

Just wanted to let you know that there were a few problems with the story and one of my chapters (the previous chapter) went up instead of another one, so I've had to make a few adjustments to the last update as it affected the plot of the story. Don't worry, these weren't huge changes, just a few adjustments to the details of what happened in the last scene.

Anyway, sorry for the inconvenience and I hope you enjoy this update!

<><><><><><>

His lair was even bigger and emptier than I remembered it being.

It was derogated of its qualities and everything looked dull and dying.

Maybe it was my mood now that I had officially returned to, what once, was such a lively Villain's cave.

I set Winchester down on the ground, opened the door to his carrier cage and he ran down the steps, hardly aware that he was no longer in his home.

I breathed in and out deeply.

"Hello, Red Hawk." The familiar, deep voice bellowed from the speakers on the cave walls, sending a shiver down my back.

The voice was so fresh and I missed it more than I cared to admit.

"If you are hearing this now, it means I have left the lair in charge of my computers. "

The familiarity of TerraStorm's voice was overwhelming. So much so that it sent multiple vibrant shivers across my body, as I adjusted to hearing the low, warm sound.

"For you specifically;" He paused, taking in a sharp breath. "If you are in trouble, you are safe here. My electronic assistant is way more up-to-date than that lousy Pearl."

Even when he wasn't here, he still managed to insult my gadgets.

Though, due to recent events, I had to agree; any computer assistant was better than Pearl. As long as it wasn't created by NASEB.

"Make yourself at home." He concluded, my underlying desperation for him to keep talking occupying the front of my mind. "There is Ben and Jerry's in my freezer."

<><><><><><>

My head spun like a disco ball on fire.

Lifting myself up slowly and cautiously, for fear my brain would slip out the back of my head, I let my eyes rest on the end of TerraStorms guest bed.

Ah, yes, that explained it. In the midst of my exhaustion and upset the night before, I had cracked open an expensive bottle of champagne. With no one to share it with, who could stop me?

My hands suddenly recognized the soft, crunchy duvet, the flat-screen TV at the end of the room still playing an old episode of Buddy The Vampire Slayer and the ball of lovable fluff that rested at my shins. At the slight movement of my legs, Winchester bounced up and galloped towards my face.

No doubt his licking was the first thing I would experience that morning.

I ran my fingers across his fur and behind his ear as he made a low, droning sound.

I picked up my phone, that lay charging on the bedside table next to me. I had one voicemail from Ben.

"Hey, Rose. Take the day off school." He ordered calmly. "I hope you are feeling better. Send me the address to where you are staying. See you tomorrow, babe."