Chapter 9: I Don't Dance, Dont Ask Me.

"I think this colour would look good with your hair."

Jazmine was in her natural habitat (aside from the computer lab): the walk-in wardrobe.

She was running back and forth, placing designer, floor-length dresses in front of my inelegant figure.

I looked down at my flimsy, chest-length hair which hardly made me feel like I belonged at a gala. It was dark at the roots while the blonde parts fell in wavy tendrils that, I had to admit, hadn't been properly combed in a while. Causing mischief and trying to help Ben didn't leave much time for beautifying regimes and spa treatments. Jazmine, on the other hand, was ready to walk the red carpet at any point in the day.

She had picked out an elegant, rose-gold floor-length gown for herself within the first couple of minutes of getting home.

"I think..." She mumbled to herself. "I think a dark red would suit you." She beamed at me with the idea and I placed my hands on my hips.

"So, basically a dress version of my Super disguise then?"

"Yeah!"

I had to admit, I really liked the idea.

She crossed the room diagonally to the back of the closet, sliding hangers back and forth across the metal bars.

"I've found it!"

She pulled out a dark red, layered dress that was short at the front and slightly longer at the back. There was a black belt around the waist with a small, gold clasp in the shape of an oval. Jazmine twirled the dress around, giving off a sickly sweet, princess-y vibe.

I scoffed at how girly this was but I couldn't help but stand back and admire the dress. It looked genuinely quite... nice.

"Put it on! Put it on!" Jazmine screeched when I hadn't objected to it in the first couple of seconds. "We still have to do hair and makeup!"

"I'm fine like-" I started.

Who was I kidding?

Jazmine gave me a doubtful look and I rolled my eyes.

"Okay, your majesty."

<><><><><><>

"Wait!" Jazmine shouted from the top of the stairs, just as I was about to open the front door. "It's Masquerade themed, we need masks."

"Well, do you have any?"

She bit her lip, running her hand up and down the chain on her clutch bag.

"I have one, but so do you..."

I shook my head. "I can't wear mine! What if someone recognizes me!"

"They won't! No-one will recognize you. And if they do, just get the hell out of there." She couldn't refrain from chuckling on the last sentence.

I sighed.

"Well," I brushed my dress with my hands and opened the door. "Better get going then."

<><><><><><>

Jazmine's father disappeared to mingle with guests as soon as we walked through the door.