Chapter 6

I was sitting in my room doing my homework as the door burst open and someone thought it was okay to just walk in without knocking.

I sighed. I don't know how many more times I have to tell everyone that they have to knock. I don't get why they don't just knock, it's not that hard.

I turned around, clearly annoyed and hell was I going to show it. My mom was standing in the entrance of my room. Since it was already late I knew she just came back from work and it also looked as if she hadn't slept for three days.

I automatically eased up. My mom works almost everyday as a waitress in a small restaurant just around the corner of our house. She has shifts almost every night and even though she would never tell me, I knew she hated the job.

She had to work way too hard for the little amount of money they paid her. Of course she could just quit, but it's not easy for a Mexican woman who's English is not the best to find a good job around here. Plus, we really can't miss the money right now.

"Yes?" I asked my mom, dropping my pen and deciding I have done enough homework for tonight. I was almost done and I would just finish the rest tomorrow morning before class. I feel like all I'm doing in my life is my homework or anything else that was school related.

"I just wanted to ask if you could cook tomorrow. Debby from work is sick and I have to fill in for her. Could you do that? Cook for you and your hermano? I won't be home later than 12, lo prometo."

I nodded and softly smiled, even though I had no desire to eat dinner with my brother alone. He probably won't even be home, since he is always on the road. Let's just hope he won't be there.

"Why don't you bring Brandon as well? It would be nice for him and your brother to bond, wouldn't it?" Mom asked, or almost begged.

It pained my heart to see her so desperate. I knew she loved my brother and she just wanted him to make some nice friends, but she knew just as well as I did that my brother and Brandon would never be friends.

"Yeah, maybe."

A smile immediately grew on her face and she gave me a big kiss on my cheek before she left my room. 

I stood up from the chair and walked over to my bed, before letting myself fall on it. I buried my face in my pillow and screamed, trying to get rid of my frustration like that.

I laid for that for a couple of minutes until my phone buzzed. I sat straight, grabbed my phone and opened the text, seeing it came from Tina.

Are you up for a girls' night? Be at my place in fifteen minutes xxxx

I grinned and quickly got up to gather my stuff. Phone, charger, house keys and my black denim jacket. 

"I'm going to Tina's!" I yelled through the house, knowing my mom would hear it. She yelled something back which sounded like 'be home before midnight' but I acted like I didn't hear her because it would probably be later than midnight.

......

Since Tina's house was really close to mine, I was there five minutes earlier than I was supposed to. Mia was already there and she had chosen a movie for us to watch tonight on Netflix.

Mia and I were laying on Tina's couch while Tina was sitting on the ground, leaning against the couch with her back. We were watching some horror movie about a blind woman even though you couldn't exactly call it 'watching' when we were talking the whole time.

"So what is up with you and Brandon anyway? You met the family right?" Tina suddenly asked and Mia also immediately sat straight up.

I though about Mr. Adams and felt how my whole face heated up, I just hoped they couldn't see it up. But who was I kidding? They were my best friends, of course they could tell something was up.

"Oh my God Val, what happened?" Tina asked, almost yelled.

I rolled with my eyes and laughed at how dramatic she was being. I shook my head, "nothing happened, everything's still perfect. And his parents are nice."

I hoped they would just drop it now, but they didn't.

"Yeah? What were they like?" It was now Mia who was asking the questions.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I mean, his mom is just really pretty and charming. I just don't really know what you guys want me to say, I barely know these people!"

It was true, I barely knew them. I knew them better then I led on, but still.

"And the dad?" Tina asked as she wiggled her eyebrows.

I bit my lip and tried my hardest to keep a straight face. I wish I could just tell them how confused I was about Brandon's dad and I also knew that they would have my back no matter what, but it wasn't about them. It was about me.

I was afraid to tell them. I was afraid to say out loud how I felt about my boyfriend's father. I felt like if I said it out loud, there was no turning back anymore. I guess I just wanted to keep this secret to myself for a little bit longer.

"He's nice. I didn't really talk to him. He was kind of intimidating..."

Tina chuckled. "Of course he was. Isn't that dude rich as shit? Matthew once told me a story about how he bought houses for his whole family."

I frowned. Brandon never told me that. Then again, why would he tell me stuff like that? I knew Brandon wasn't one to brag about how rich he was.

"Woah," Mia just mumbled and I nodded.

After that we decided to watch the rest of the movie since it was getting kind of scary and we really wanted to see how it ended.

When the movie finally ended, I looked at Tina and Mia and I grinned as I watched them sleep. They seriously fell asleep while watching a movie. Why are these girls my best friends again?

I looked at my phone and saw that is was already 1 am, time to go home. It was Sunday night and school would start again tomorrow. God, the weekend flies by way too quickly.

I carefully put a blanket over Mia's small body and pressed a kiss on her forehead. I stepped over Tina's sleeping body and quietly left the house. 

As I walked home, I realized how much I already lied to my best friends. We made a promise that we would never lie to each other about anything ever, and here I was. Why was it so hard to tell the truth? I'm a coward. 

I guess sometimes telling a lie is just easier than telling the truth.

Please vote if you liked it and let me know what you think! It'll motivate me to keep writing :)

PS: #TeamBrandon or TeamMrAdams??? ;)