Chapter 7

"We could go to the beach tonight. Bring a blanket and just get something to eat for dinner there," Brandon suggested.

I shook my head while being busy finishing the rest of my homework. "I can't. I have to cook for me and my brother tonight."

He nodded and shrugged his shoulders.

"I could help."

I looked up at him and frowned. As much as I love Brandon, I don't think I feel great about letting him inside my house and eat dinner with Rafael. I already know Rafael is going to be a dick and that is a situation I'm trying to avoid.

"I don't think that's a good idea babe," I mumbled.

Now it was Brandon's turn to frown. "What's going on Val? Did I do something to piss you off? You can just tell me if you don't want to hang out tonight, I-"

I quickly cut him off.

"No, that's not it! It's just.. My brother can be a little annoying at times and I just don't want you to see him like that, that's all."

Brandon chuckled. "Babe, I'm sorry, but I'm not a little boy anymore. I can handle 'annoying', especially when it's your brother. It's gonna be fine, I promise. I have to go to class now but I'll talk to you later."

He pressed a quick kiss on my forehead before he walked off the bleacher and left me here, already worrying about tonight.

Maybe I shouldn't be overreacting like this, but there's a side of me that's just scared Brandon will take off when he meets my brother. Of course they already met one or twice, but I mean the real him.

I also can't tell him what's really going on with Rafael because I promised my mom I would never tell anyone about Rafael's past. Great, more secrets.

I closed my books, put them back in my backpack and grabbed my phone to text Brandon. Let's hope I could still help myself out if this situation.

I'm not sure we have enough food for tonight but we could go to the beach tomorrow? Or go for dinner, my treat! xxxxxx

I closed my eyes for a second and waited for Brandon to response, which he did within a few second.

Don't worry too much, tonight's gonna be great. Love you

I sighed and put away my phone. I don't know what I could say now to change his mind. Maybe Brandon's right and I shouldn't worry this much. After all it will just be an innocent dinner with my boyfriend and brother.

------

It was almost 7 pm and my brother still wasn't home. I was honestly starting to think he wouldn't show up anymore. Not like that is so surprising, for me it was more like a relieve.

Because of the fact my lovely boyfriend couldn't take no for an answer, he got what he wanted and was setting the dinner table at the moment. If it was up to be we'd just be eating on the couch in front of the television, but Brandon insisted on eating at the dinner table.

I didn't care that much. I just wanted to eat, I was starving.

"Two or three plates?" Brandon asked.

"Hmm, two. I don't think Rafael wi-"

As if it was planned, the door flew open and Rafael entered the kitchen with a big smirk on his face. When he laid eyes on Brandon he looked surprised for a moment, but he quickly recovered himself and walked over to him.

Me, on the other hand, watched Rafael's every move. If he was to do something stupid, at least I could quickly interfere.

Rafael didn't say a word as he watched Brandon from head to toe. Then he turned to me with an annoyed look on his face.

"What is he doing here?"

I rolled with my eyes and walked over to Brandon. I grabbed his hands and gave it a soft squeeze, knowing he was feeling awkward as hell right now.

"He's here to eat dinner with us," I said.

Rafael nodded and sat down at the dinner table. He put his chin in the palm of his hands and raised his eyebrows.

"So, where's the food?" Rafael asked as if he's been waiting for hours. As Brandon sat down at the dinner table as well, I quickly grabbed the bowl with pasta from the kitchen and placed it on the table.

After I sat down as well, we all put some pasta on our plate in silence and started eating. I actually didn't mind the silence at all. Everything was better than Rafael picking a fight.

"Val, have you spoken with Anita lately? I feel like I haven't seen her in years!" Rafael suddenly said and I almost spit out my food.

Was he serious right now?

I knew Rafael was fucked up, but this is a whole new level. Was he even aware of the fact that I was keeping his secret? Not mine, not mom's, but his. It seemed like he seriously didn't even care about his secret coming out or not.

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

It just amazes me how Rafael can still talk about Anita like it was nothing.

When Rafael killed Anita and he went to prison, our mother told everyone he was staying with family in Mexico. I had to swear not to tell anyone the truth ever and while Rafael didn't care if the truth came out or not, he swore it as well.

The thing is, although we never talk about it, Anita is not the only person who was hurt by Rafael. And if the truth ever came out, both Rafael and I knew that would be the end. Mom threatened to get Rafael back in prison and we would move to probably Mexico.

And that is why, no matter how much I want to, I can't tell Brandon or anyone else the truth. I'm just so scared that the truth will eventually come out. I hate Rafael for putting me in this situation.

"I haven't talked to him," I mumbled, playing along with Rafael's stupid game.

He just grinned as he picked his food.

I looked at Brandon and I found him already looking at me. I sent him a soft smile and changed the subject.

When dinner was over, Brandon and I went to my bedroom to hang out for a bit. Since it was still another school night, we wouldn't make it very late. I already can't wait until we have spring break in two weeks. I feel like my last high school is taking forever.

While Brandon was flipping through some old magazine in my room, I went downstairs to get us something to drink. Just when I wanted to go back upstairs, Rafael walked up to me with the most innocent look in his face.

"Fucking asshole," I hissed.

He frowned as if he didn't know where my sudden anger was coming from, but I knew damn well he knew. Playing dumb, another thing Rafael is good at.

"What?" He asked.

I rolled with my eyes. "You know what I'm talking about. I can't believe you just brought Anita up like that. You know no one can ever find out, so why keep bringing it up? I can't believe how you can be so stupid Rafael!"

Rafael blinked a few times and looked at the ground, not knowing what to say. "I'm sorry Val. I know I shouldn't have said that, it was careless."

I sighed and nodded. I wanted to scream at him for a little bit longer, but the way he was looking right now, I couldn't do it. No matter how much I wanted to hate him, he was still my only brother and I loved him. I didn't have a lot of family, only my mother and Rafael, and I just feel like you have to keep your family close to you.

"Just don't do it again," I mumbled before heading back upstairs, leaving my brother alone in the kitchen.

Rafael has some serious issues....... Next chapter Mr. Adams returns ;)