Five

Chapter's song: Thinking of you by Katy Perry

"Mark's an idiot."

My best friend looks up with a small smile on her face. She's holding Marianne, whose latest entertainment is to throw stuff on the floor and making you pick it up. She's been at it for the last half an hour. "He's not, Kate. He's a complete softie, you only need to—" Placing both hands on my hips, I glare at her, raising an eyebrow.

Emily smiles.

Her date must have gone well because she's like a completely different person. She's all smiles and extremely patient with her daughter, and she's not dressed in sports pants anymore. She has a red top with washed jeans. Her long, dark hair is pulled up in one of those messy buns she likes to wear all the time. She looks great.

She picks up Marianne's toy from the ground, faking a cough. I know she's holding her laughter, her lips tremble as my annoyance increases. "I'm sorry, we must be talking about two different people," she doesn't look at me as she grabs Marianne's little lion.

I narrow my eyes, my lips pressed in a tight slash. Seriously?

"Okay," she clears her throat, not even pretending not to show me she is utterly amused. "He's a complete douchebag, the most idiotic person that has ever stepped foot in this planet and he has no taste at all, to make it worse."

Rolling my eyes, I pick up the ball Marianne just tossed to the floor. "Okay, okay, he seems to have his moments," I murmur begrudgingly.

Emily's green eyes glint mischievously, while my stomach churns uneasily. What the hell is she thinking? "The funny part is that Scott said that you would make a cute couple but you clearly hate the guy."

I swallow hard.

I don't hate him.

I keep it to myself because I'm too proud to admit, and I really don't want to keep talking about him.

Change of subject.

"So, did you ever find out why Marianne had a fever?" The little girl turns to me at the mention of her name, and I totally swoon. You really have no choice, she's just too cute. Emily has dressed her in a light pink dress and her golden-brown hair is held on the side by a white pin with a small bow. Her lips curve up and she blabbers while glancing at me. I melt at her, meeting her gaze with a smile of my own.

Emily sighs. "The pediatrician said that it could be due to the molars sprouting. He did a whole check-up and there was nothing wrong." Her green eyes turn to me. "I'm really sorry that you had to deal with that."

"Pfft, no worries," I grin at her. "We handled it." More like we freaked out, but that was something that she didn't need to know.

She stares at me with knowing eyes. "Yes, you did. Thank you."