Thirty-Seven

This chapter is for each and all of you. Thank you for reading this. 

Chapter's song:Girls Aloud - I'll Stand By You

It's been almost two months since I last saw him, and every day I think of him

After I left the hospital, I tried to call him. Several times. Until I saw him on the front page of one of the many newspapers at the magazine stand. He wasn't alone, or sad. Every week he appeared wrapped in the arms of a new girl. 

He was moving on; I guess. 

I couldn't blame him since I'd brought this on me. 

Some days were harder than the others. Most days I didn't want to step out of my bed, and each day, I thought about what would have happened if I hadn't lost our baby. 

Would I be showing already? Would I feel it move?

I felt like I'd lost every chance to be a mom. It had vanished with Mark. There was no one else I'd want to have a baby with. 

Even Scott, my ex, had finally understood that there was no point in talking anymore. He'd apologized for causing me trouble, but the truth is that I was the only guilty here. 

I repeat the same thing on my head as I make my way to the hospital once more. My breath hitches as I stand at the entrance. 

This time, I'm visiting Emily. She had Ashley, her newborn, yesterday at dawn. I ignore the uneasiness on my stomach as I step inside and look for Emily's room. 

I texted her ahead of time to check if Mark was there, because let's be honest, he didn't want to see me as much as I didn't want to see him.

I don't think my heart could survive it. 

Exhaling slowly, trying to calm my erratic heartbeats, I knock on the door. 

"Come in," my friend's voice sounds on the other side. 

"Hey," an awkward smile plays in my face as I step closer to her. She smiles at me and I try to mask the fact that my heart breaks once more as my eyes land on the little bundle she has on her arms. The baby is asleep, and it looks so peaceful. My chest tightens. I could have had my own bundle of joy too. That usual emptiness that had taken over me for the last few weeks comes back crashing in full-force. "She's gorgeous," my tone is barely there, but it breaks at the end. 

"Thank you," Em says softly. "Do you want to hold her?"

I swallow hard. "I don't think so."

My friend's green eyes are a bit sad as she gazes at me. "Baby steps, right?"

I try to blink away the tears that are pooling inside my eyes as I sit beside her. "I'm sorry..." 

"Don't. You don't need to apologize. I know exactly how you feel, remember? And I wish I could do something to make you feel better, but I don't know how."