Thirteen Part-Two

I'm halfway through the stupid wall

I'm halfway through the stupid wall. I'm sweating like a pig, my arms and legs are shaking and I'm this close to let go when Mark asks, "so, what happened with your ex?"

Bloody hell. Is he freaking kidding me?

My whole body freezes and I can't even turn to look at him because I'm pretty sure that if I do, I'll let go of the wall and I'll try to punch him.

I ignore him. I take a deep breath and reach out for another nook while clenching my jaw.

"Because I don't know what happened, but I do know you haven't dated ever since."

I push myself harder because I want to reach to the top as fast as I can.

What does he care?

Scott is still a sore subject. I don't want to talk about him. Especially not with Mark. He'll make fun of me. He'll smirk and tell me that I'm too closed up and too bloody rigid. And the worst part is that he's probably right.

Groaning, I grab on to the next rock and keep going. In silence. All the way to the top.

As soon as I reach it, I crawl to get away from the ledge. I can't really walk. My legs are wobbling like jelly. I lay flat on my back, closing my eyes, feeling the warmth of the sun over my face.

"Water?"

I press my eyelids tighter. My whole body feels warmer and not in a nice way. I don't even have the strength to stand up and tell him to fuck off. Instead, with a trembling hand, I raise my hand showing him how I feel. I hear his chuckles as he sits next to me. His body shields the sun and he grabs my hand and places the water bottle on it.

"I'm sorry." His voice is rough and deep and naughty at the same time. It stirs something deep inside me. My heart starts to race as I exhale.

I sit up, clenching the bottle he gave me and without looking at him, I take a sip. "You seemed like you needed a sort of incentive to keep going and it was the first thing that came to mind." I take another sip. "And you have to admit that it worked."

It did.

And I'm pissed because he seems to be fucking right all the fucking time.

"Why did you want to do this?" I gaze at him. Despite the fact that we've been climbing for God long knows how long, Mark looks impeccable. He's not sweating or blushing from the effort or anything. His hair looks too perfect, his hands are not trembling and the way the sun rays are shining down on his hair, make his eyes stand out more and the pinkish hue on his lips make them appear inviting...

What the fuck am I thinking!

"You make everything more interesting." My lips part at his words. They feel like hot rocks on the bottom of my stomach. "Look, I didn't know that your ex, Shawn, or whatever is his name, was such a touchy subject. I'm sorry if I offended you in someway."