Fourteen

Chapter's song: Shape Of You by Ed Sheeran. (Because Ed freaking Sheeran!!!)

 (Because Ed freaking Sheeran!!!)

I can't move. At all.

Bloody hell. I'm going to freaking kill Mark.

I'm lying in bed just staring at my ceiling talking myself into getting out of bed because I can smell fresh coffee and I'm hungry and my whole body hurts. My phone rings and it seems like it's a huge effort to move my arm to my bed table to get the darn thing.

My stomach sinks as I stare at my best friend's picture on the screen. Biting my lip, I exhale before sliding my finger across the screen to answer the call. Which hurts and I curse Mark once more.

"Hi Em!" I try to sound chirpy because I know she's been moody as hell over the last few days.

"Well, hello, Kate!" Huh-Huh. She doesn't sound too happy.

I grimace. "Hi?"

"How are you?"

"Er... great, you?"

"I'm doing awesome, thank you for asking." She forces a laugh and I know I'm in deep trouble. "You know what? My husband just told me the funniest thing!" Here it goes. "He mentioned that my best friend is spending the weekend with his brother, but I told him it couldn't be, because my dearest friend would have told me about it! She wouldn't keep it to herself because we're best friends, right?"

Oh crap

I avoided Emily because she seemed to pissed off at anything and everything and now she's mad at me.

Taking a deep breath, I add, "I'm sorry!" my tone is high-pitched and I close my eyes expecting a bomb to blast on the other side of the line. Instead, I meet silence. And a soft sniff that makes me feel like the worst friend in the whole wide world. "I'm really, really sorry Emily. I've been super busy with work and... stuff."

"Does that stuff happens to be Mark?" Her voice is soft and defeated.

My scalp prickles. "Sort of." She sniffs again. "In my defense, I'm not spending the weekend with Mark. I came to see my mom, and he tagged along. But I didn't plan this, I swear!"

"I'm so sorry," Emily adds with sorrow. "I'm an emotional wreck right now. It's got nothing to do with you not calling me and telling me what's going on with your life. I'm clearly oversensitive."

I roll my eyes. I swear people develop the guilt gene when they become parents because Emily is mastering on it.

"There's nothing going on Em. As shocking as this sounds, we're friends. That's it."

She stays silent for a moment. "I thought we though Mark was an idiot!"

Chuckling, I pull the cover closer. "I still think so. He's just a friendly idiot." As the words leave my mouth, I frown.