Nine

Chapter's song:  SIDE TO SIDE - Ariana Grande - Diamond White & KHS COVER (I love KHS covers!)

I'm in my office ignoring all the emails I have to read or the next theme I'd like to tackle for an article

I'm in my office ignoring all the emails I have to read or the next theme I'd like to tackle for an article. I feel so guilty, that every minute or so, I look up to check that no one is glancing my way. I see Tom, my next-door office buddy glance up and I minimize my window in an instant. He gazes away, pretty much ignoring me, and I click on it again.

I'm staring at different pictures of Mark.

I'm so embarrassed, but I can't look away. I see him wearing tuxedos, in jeans and plain shirts and a few on his army uniforms. In pretty much all of them, a different girl is hanging on his arm. They're all bimbos. All posh and stylish. So different from me. So very different from me.

Why the hell did he take me to the bungee jump?

The worst part is that I'm going crazy trying to understand it. I can't figure out what is his deal, and it's killing me. Especially since every time I see a picture of him, my heart does this stupid somersault and it's freaking me out.

I start reading different articles about him and even though I know they're bullshit, I keep at it. 

I reach out for my tea when the phone rings. The mug slips out of my hand and lands on my laptop. "Shit!" I stand up, trying to clean the mess, but my computer screen is frozen in one of Mark's close-ups. "Bloody hell!" Tom, and pretty much everyone around me is looking at me.

My phone is still ringing and I close my laptop, reaching out for the devilish thing. "Yes?"

A deep chuckle sounds on the other side. "You really need proper etiquette lessons, Kate."

My heart is racing. Feeling guilty, I gaze at my computer. "Hi Mark, how are you doing this fine day?" The words are hurried and they're not sarcastic as always. Darn. I hope he doesn't notice.

"Do I sense some sort of edge in your tone?" Fuck. Of course.

I stand up and start pacing around the room. "You're mental. I'm my usual charming self."

"Right." I scrunch up my nose as he adds, "Are you free?"

My stomach flips. "Why? Do you feel like climbing the London Eye?"

He cracks up. "I'm hungry, actually. Do you have plans for dinner?"

My whole body tenses. I try not to swoon at the fact that he's trailing so carefully, quite aware that I have a life. I don't, but he doesn't know that. I glance at the clock. It's almost five. "Okay." My tone is high-pitched and I so want to bang my head against the wall because of it.

"Does sushi sounds good? I know a great place."

"It sounds good." I bit my lip. "You're not making me rappel or anything, right?"