Eight

"Why did you bring me here?" The question has been on my mind since I jumped

Why would Mark think I needed this?

I'm still all hyped up, the feeling of free-falling fresh in my mind and heart, and I don't seem to be able to stand still, my right foot is continuously tapping against the car as we drive away, leaving the metallic structure behind.

"I thought you needed to vent."

My tapping stops. I did need to vent. It felt like the burden I'd been carrying over my shoulders for the last few weeks had dissipated through the air as I fell, but what the hell?

How does he know this?

I shift on my seat. "Why? Apart from being a prude, now I'm a stuck-up, too?" I cringe as the words burst out of my mouth. They're a bit harsh. Especially now. I mean, the guy did take me to bungee jump and that's definitely something I hadn't seen myself doing. Like, ever.

Mark doesn't seem fazed. In fact, he is amused.

His cackles reverberate through the car as he takes the expressway. "If the shoe fits..." he's teasing me, I know it, but a part of me is apprehensive that people might see me like that.

It would explain a lot of things. Like the fact that no one from work has dared to ask me out in a long time. I smile to myself, I haven't been really social either. Always in my small little space, immersed in dreams of being more than an advice columnist and doing research on my own, trying to nail the article, this time, guessing what sort of subject would interest my boss. Waste of time, I guess.

Sighing, I pass a hand on my forehead, pushing off the fringe of my face. "You're an idiot, Mark." I shake my head. Gosh. That's sounds like a mantra lately. My lips quirk up.

"Yeah, yeah, so you keep saying." The car stops at a red light and he turns at me. "But I know I'm awesome." His blue eyes are glinting and his hair is all over the place, but his smile is still raw and honest, and it makes me feel all weird inside. Which is not a good thing.

I turn away, swallowing hard. "You keep believing that, Mark."

The car jolts as the light turn green and the tires start rolling again. "I don't need to believe it, I know it." I roll my eyes but I grin anyway. I could use some of his self-confidence.

My stomach feels like it's still doing some sort of weird somersaults, making me feel uneasy. "Are you hungry? Let's get something to eat, on me." It's the least I can do after all.

"Tsk. Tsk." Mark turns to me for a split second. His gaze is mischievous and a sly grin plays on his face. "Are you asking me out, Kate?" He shakes his head. "I had no idea all it take was a little jump to make you see my charm!"

I purse my lips. "I'm hungry and I want food, and I happen to be with you." I lean back, smiling to myself. "But you know what? I'm uninviting you."