Twelve

Chapter's song: Don't be a fool by Shawn Mendes

Mom is a great cook. Dinner is great, but a bit awkward. For me. 

Mark seems to be having a blast. He's been talking non-stop to Mom about...everything and anything.

The fact that conversation flows easily with my mother is a bit unnerving. I mean, why do I sometimes find it so hard to strike a conversation with him? It's not like he's shy or anything.

I blame it on Mark.

I blame everything on him.

He makes everything more difficult, and that's it.

I take a deep breath as Mom asks if anyone wants coffee. "I'll make it Mom." It's not like I have anything to talk about. I cringe inwardly. Boy, do I sound sour.

I stand up before she does, and I can feel both pairs of eyes on me as I step inside the kitchen. Despite the fact that I haven't lived here in years, I know where everything is. I set the coffee machine in less than five minutes, and just as I'm pressing the on button, I hear Mom's laugh. I roll my eyes. Glad they're having fun.

My brows furrow as I lean against the counter. Wait a minute. Am I jealous of my mother?

I don't even have to be jealous!

Mark and I are just friends! He's been quick to remind me that for the last ten hours, or so!

And I don't mind.

I'm not even sure I can date anyone. Men are so freaking complicated. They complain about women, but in truth, who the hell knows what they really want?

The coffee machine starts to gurgle and I take out three mugs. My hand freezes as I see what used to be one of my favorite mugs. I stare at it for a moment. It's white and has four pictures of when I was dating Hugh's cousin, Scott. Slowly, I grab it to gaze at the pictures, while my heart tightens. Scott gave it to me as a Christmas present when we came over for the holidays a few years back. I didn't know Mom still kept it.

Twirling the mug, I see the pictures. We're smiling and holding hands in most of them. The one I gaze the most at is when we're looking at each other, with one of Barcelona's plazas on the background. I was sure he was going to propose when we were there. But he didn't. In fact, things cooled off after that. Pressing my lips together, I put it back in the cabinet.

Things happen for a reason, right?

He is gone and life moves on. I mean, I'm still stuck on that shitty job at the newspaper, and my social life is pretty much nonexistent...

Okay. Where the hell is the sugar?

I don't want to think about Scott. It always makes me double bitter because I know he's doing great.