Twenty-Five

Chapter's song: Believer by Luke Cristopher (love this song, and I kind of feel like this is for all of you :) )

It's barely daylight but I can't sleep.

How can I?

Mark's even breathing tickles my back. My eyes are wide as I look around the room. It's all a mess. Our clothes are scattered everywhere, and despite the erratic thumps of my heart, my lips tug up.

I don't know what I was thinking. Well, more like I didn't think at all.

Mark's kisses had a secondary effect of making my brain numb. He's a really good kisser, but that won't ever leave my lips. His ego is huge as it is, there's no need to add more to it.

And I wanted this. Like, too bad.

A sigh leaves my lips.

Whatever the hell this is.

I'm not sure what will Mark say when he wakes up. Or if we're going to repeat this. Or why he seemed adamant not to sleep with me when we were in Australia.

I exhale again.

This seems too complicated.

A soft yet gentle touch traces my arm. "Are you up?" Mark asks in a whisper. I smile and press my lips. "I know you're up and probably thinking that last night was a mistake or something."

Frowning, I pull the sheet closer to my chest and turn to him. "What?"

Mark's eyes are deep as he looks at me. "This wasn't a mistake, Kate."

I blink. "Why do you keep saying that?"

Slowly, Mark's lips curve up in a smile. "So, you're not over thinking this?"

"Well, now you're making me give this a second thought."

He chuckles. "Well, we can make it simple: I want you, and you want me. Let's date."

I burst out laughing. "Oh my God, Mark! You're incredibly conceited! How can you be so sure that I want you?"

"You were screaming my name last night, Kate." His words sober me up.

"I was not!" My cheeks feel on fire as it's his time to laugh.

"Okay, okay. You didn't scream, but you did say my name and it was sexy as hell..." his gaze darkens and I know he 's eager to do it all over again. He leans closer to give me a kiss, but I place one hand on his chest. His very well defined chest.

"Mark, you don't date."

He stares at me for the longest of moments. My stomach churns, and not in a good way.

"I don't, but I want to date you." I'm touching my neck as he adds, "I'm not Emily and Scott, Kate. We're not keeping this a secret. If you want to be with me, you're with me all the way."