Thirty-Three

Chapter's song: ADELE vs SAM SMITH Mashup!! ft. Madilyn Bailey & Casey Breves (IDK. This is freaking amazing!)

I re-read the paper on my hands

I re-read the paper on my hands. For the third time. My brows crease as I force myself to concentrate, but this is utterly boring. Lifting my eyes, I find my brother looking at me expectingly.

"So? Does it look good?" he asks.

"Yes, it's wonderful," I place the sheet of paper on the desk. I have no idea what this is for.

Scott nods, "okay. Don't you feel that the part about the royal navy is too harsh?"

I look sideways for a second. "You've handled it well, mate."

My brother stares at me for a moment before rolling his eyes. "I never talk about the royal navy, you idiot. I was just making sure you were paying attention to me and it's clear you're not." Annoyed, he grabs the papers and puts them away in a folder. "You'll have to read this tonight because I do expect some actual comments about all this, Mark. I'm making some cuts to our income and you have to be aware of it."

"Do I need to worry about getting another job?" I cross my arms across my chest.

He sighs. "Not yet."

"Then it's all good. I trust you, and if I needed to get another job, I'd still do it," I shrug.

"I know, but you still have to know all this."

I press my lips for a moment. "Yes, yes, whatever." I uncross my arms and lean on the desk. "I need to ask you something, when you met Emily, when did you know she was the one for you?"

He blinks before bursting into laughter.

Bloody hell. I should have kept my mouth shut.

"Are you really asking me this? The all-time player?" He hiccups before laughing again.

I roll my eyes. "I'm just curious, that's it. It doesn't mean anything."

"Yeah, right," Scott sobers up. "And I'm Captain America." I mutter a curse under my breath and my stupid brother laughs more. "You were there with me, Mark. You know all about this."

Memories of the past flash through my mind. I remember the time when Scott came back from Afghanistan looking like a bus rolled over him and how I transversed a few words to make him act, because Em was, and still is, a good woman for him.

"Wait, a minute. Did you realize you wanted to marry Emily on our way to the airport?"

"I knew I wanted to be with her, but thinking that I might lose her for being downright stupid, made me go all the way," he says while shifting on his seat. "If you remember, Emily didn't want to date me in the first place."

I smirk. "That's because you're a dork."

My brother smiles once more. "She still married me." He sounds so bloody smug, and my stomach churns uneasily, because I wish I could feel this confident.