Twenty Seven

"So, you and Mark, huh?" Emily stares at me with a huge smirk on her face

"So, you and Mark, huh?" Emily stares at me with a huge smirk on her face. I just roll my eyes, but I feel how my cheeks warm. "I mean," she goes on, "you always had a crush on him."

My eyes are wide as I turn to her. "I did not!"

Emily laughs while she rubs her baby bump. "Don't you remember? You were so excited to meet him!"

"Until I actually met him and realized what a douche he was." Marianne laughs and I smile. I'm visiting Emily for the day and ever since her pregnancy started to show, she's felt tired and had to hire a nanny for a while. We're at her back-garden drinking tea and scones watching Marianne try to catch the bubbles her nanny is blowing out for her.

"And now you're his girlfriend," my friend states proudly and my lips curve up. I can't help it, and I'm actually trying not to look so love-stricken.

However, as much as I like it, I still help how my chest tightens. "Is it easy to date a royal?"

"Hell no! It's like dating the whole world!" Emily laughs.

My shoulders sag. "Well, that's reassuring, thank you."

She winks at me before turning to look at her child. "Anytime."

We stay in silence for a moment and my whole mind is in turmoil.

What will people say about me? Will the paparazzi stalk me? The answer is a definite yes, I know that. I just try not to think about it. Much.

"Yet," Emily's voice brings me back to present, "I know that Mark is really into you or he wouldn't have done half of the things he has done." Her green eyes are deep as she stares at me.

"I know..."

"You do?"

I nod. "Yeah, for sure."

"Why do you seem hesitant, then?"

A sigh leaves my lips. "Well, I don't know. I had a hard time dating Scott, and he was just a DJ, now, Mark, is a bloody prince, so I can't imagine how hard it will be."

"What are you talking about? How hard will be what?"

I bit my lip. I really don't want to say it. But the truth is that it seems that I'm doomed for romance.

Emily groans. "You need to be more positive, Kate. And give Mark the benefit of the doubt. He's not really a douche bag. I mean, he's quirky in his own way, and way too self-absorbed, but he's not a bad man."

I can't help but laugh at what my friend just said.

"He's horrible yet awesome at the same time, huh?"

She smiles. "Pretty much. I think he's crazy about you, though." She leans forward and grabs my hand. "What I can assure you is that he's not Scott."