Twenty-Nine

Chapter's song: What Lovers Do by Maroon 5 ft.SZA

I'm not planning to scare her on our first "official" date, so I ditch the idea of sushi and take her downtown

I'm not planning to scare her on our first "official" date, so I ditch the idea of sushi and take her downtown. When I was a kid, this place was like heaven to me. Twenty years later, it's still as cool but it's almost forgotten. Which makes it perfect.

I park my car near the entrance. I'm not worried about the security, because there's a team of bodyguards, disguised as civilians, following our every move. I don't want to freak out Kate any more than she already is.

"Funscape? You took me to Funscape?" She doesn't sound mad. If anything, she sounds entertained.

"You seemed stressed," I shrug, "so I figured we needed something to let loose."

Her lips curve up and her eyes soften. "Thank you. I don't think I could handle bungee-jumping right now."

I smile. The thought did cross my mind, but I didn't have time to organize it.

Good thing I didn't.

Trocadero is almost dead. There are a few shops open, but it's kind of sad to see what used to be one of my favorite places, so empty. It's a colorful three-story mall filled with hundreds of old video games machines, including a bumper cars track and a bowling place. I feel nostalgic as we enter. I guess young people have video games in their phones, so playing table-football or the old machines isn't as exciting as it was. Yet, I'm not complaining. It's perfect for us.

There are a couple of teens playing with one of the machines on the corner, but they don't pay attention to us as we enter the place.

My aim is the bumper cars' track. I hold Kate's hand as we make our way through the machines, tea and candy stores, until we find it.

I don't have to tell her anything because my goofy smile gives me away. I pay our entrance fee and before I chose my car, Kate is seated on hers.

She picked a red car, so I go for a blue one.

I can't help but laugh at the competitive look on her face. I'm almost certain that she'll bump against me as soon as she can. And I'm not wrong. We are free to go and Kate drives directly to me. I manage to dodge her but she still bumps her car against mine.

"You're too eager to hit me, aren't you, sweet cabbage?"

She smirks. "You know, even when you say sweet, you're comparing me to a round vegetable, and definitely not my favorite!"

"Well, I've thought it though and I have no problem with you calling me an eggplant. I like what that implies about me!" I scream as I keep driving away from her, and when I have space to maneuver, I turn around to reverse the roles. I want to bump into her.

We're a mile away, but I still see her roll her eyes. "Come on! I think I'll change your name to pickle, then!"

I laugh. "Ouch. That really hurts my feelings!"