VII

As soon as I set my keys down in the little bowl on the table by the door I heard a car pull into my long, setback driveway. I walked back outside to see Prince's bright yellow BMW adorned with his symbol on the license plate.

Talk about being inconspicuous.

I walked out as he opened the car door. "Really, you couldn't bring like a regular car?"

"This is my ride."

"Well, pull it in the garage." I didn't want him to know I was a little uneasy that there was a chance Janet could see his car. She would often just show up at my house without notice, especially after a fight.

He rolled his eyes before moving his car into the detached garage that sat adjacent to my house. "What, you don't want people to know I'm at your house?"

"I don't want Janet to see." I said as we walked into the house together.

"You expecting her?"

"No, but she always just shows up."

He sat down on the couch while I stood at the door making sure the garage door closed all the way. When I turned around, I noticed he was dressed to the nines, as usual. I became a little self conscious as I still wore my workout clothes from earlier.

"Uh, I'll be right back." I said before I ran through the living room and into the kitchen to the staircase. I ran upstairs and put a pair of black tights with a nice red top on.

As I walked into the living room, I laughed silently to myself while he stood there and fiddled with my remote control, trying to get the TV turned on.

"How do you turn this damn thing on?" He asked, never noticing my amusement in the difficulty he was having.

"Press the green button," he pressed the green button. "Now..." I walked over to him, "here, let me do it."

"No, just show me, so I know for next time." He turned away with the remote in hand.

I sighed, "Press TV2, on the remote." His index finger searched for the button. "Bottom right." He found it.

"There you go, now it's ready. What movie did you bring anyway?"

He bent over and picked up the VHS, "The Great Mouse Detective." He showed me the case before setting it down again.

My lips shot in between my teeth as I desperately tried to hold in my laugh, wondering why in the world he would pick that movie, "Why'd you pick that movie?"

His face turned to mine as he briefly closed his eyes and picked up his eyebrows, "You said we were only gonna watch a movie, so I didn't want to bring anything that would temp me."

I brought up both hands in surrender, "Ok then. You want some popcorn?"

"Yeah, let me make it though, I make the best popcorn." I wasn't convinced as he walked with me to the kitchen where I handed him a bag of popcorn from my pantry.

"I'll tell you the secret, you've got to put the microwave to 80% then put it in for three minutes." He bit his bottom lip as he focused on the buttons of the microwave.