XXIII

Since Prince left me lying naked in bed a few nights ago, I hadn't spoken to him. Partly due to the fact that although he told me everything between us was fine, the night we spent together seemed... different. So I figured the best thing to do was to give him space.

I also hadn't heard from Karen since that day so I decided to call her up and see if she wanted to grab some lunch. Luckily she was available, I was excited to be able to vent to her about everything under the sun, like I always did.

When I arrived at our usual spot in downtown, I immediately saw she was there, legs crossed, eyebrow lifted- the usual annoyed look she carried when I was late for lunch. As I took my seat at the table she'd saved for us, she asked all about what happened with Janet. I told her the whole story, leaving out the part about Prince since I still kept he's identity hidden from everyone.

"Is that all?" She looked at me unconvinced, her eyebrows raised up on her forehead.

"What?"

"What do you mean what? I can't believe you didn't tell me Viv." At that point, I knew she knew who my secret lover was but I played dumb, not wanting to divulge the information.

"What are you talking about?"

"Your little fuck buddy? It's Prince?" She shouted causing me to put both my hands out in a calm down motion while looking around to see who heard.

"I'm sorry Kar, I didn't want anybody to know because, you know, of who he is."

"Well, you know I wouldn't have said anything to anyone. I thought I was supposed to be your best friend." She crossed her arms and looked away.

"Ugh, you are my best friend. Nobody knows. Well, nobody knew anyway. Who told you?" We both paused, while the waiter sat both of our plates onto the table. "Was it your cousin?"

"Yeah," she calmed down enough to show a hint of a smile, "she said J said you and her were over there arguing and then Prince walked in like a fucking night in shining armor." Karen couldn't contain her laughter, lightly slapping the table as loud cackles bursted out of her.

"Sorry I didn't tell you Kar, it's just sex anyway."

"Hmm, so you say. It all sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me though. No man would do the romantic things he does for you if it's just sex."

"I swear, that's all it is. I think he's gonna call it off though."

"Why?"

"'Cause he was all like you deserve more and all that the other night."

"Maybe he meant with him. Like maybe he wants to get serious with you."

I picked at the food on my plate with my fork while thinking about what she'd just said, "No, definitely not, as long as I've been around him, he's never been in a relationship with just one person." My head shook vigorously, "That can't be it."

Karen rolled her eyes, "Viv, he wouldn't be bringing you roses if he was gonna break it off with you."

I shrugged, "Well you weren't there the other night. Those roses were probably my severance package."