Chapter 3

A/N: Happy weekend, folks!  Thanks for reading.  (Pictured above is how I envision Roland looking.)

____________________________

Chapter 3

Roland plops on the couch beside me, producing enough movement to send my sore muscles into a frenzy of aches and pains. I groan into the pillow but he doesn't acknowledge me. He simply takes another bite of his disgusting cardboard cereal and reaches for the remote. My gluttonous love for Sports Center is overthrown by the cooking channel.

"I was watching that," I protest with a muffled voice.

"Watch it on your phone."

He smirks, knowing full well my phone is all the way across the room plugged in to its charger. Therefore, retrieving it would require me to get up and move – a task proving incredibly difficult after my excruciating first swim practice with Roland.

"Fuck off," I mumble.

Roland's lips twitch into the semblance of a smile before he takes another bite of cereal. I knew when I was swimming lap after lap for hours on end that I would be sore tonight. My body knew it too. I couldn't stop, though. Roland told me he wanted me to run through a 'typical team practice' to see how I'd fare. Obviously I had to prove that I could handle it.

Honestly, I think Roland was impressed that I didn't back down. Even though I can tell I'm slower than I used to be, my passion and drive is still there – two keys to success. Besides, I have a full week to get myself into good enough shape to try-out. Once I make the team, and I will make the team, I can start getting back to being the swimmer I used to be.

Speaking of making the team...

"What do you know about that asshole, anyway?"

Roland keeps his eyes on the TV, his chewing pattern slowing as he becomes wrapped up in a show that's all about the proper way to cut fruits and vegetables before cooking them. Talk about a snooze fest. Why again did I willingly agree to live with this dude?

"Rolly," I say, nudging his leg with the heel of my foot.

He glances over at me. "You know, it wouldn't hurt you to pay attention to this."

"What for?"

"Although your diet of beer and pizza seems to be doing wonders for you, I'm sure your body would appreciate a meal or two that couldn't be purchased from the local gas station."

"Shows what you know," I mutter. "I always get green peppers on my pizza."

Roland gives me a droll stare before turning his focus back to the program. The woman on the screen stares back at us with a stiff smile. She picks up an avocado and points to several spots on its skin before setting it to the side. I make a mental note to introduce Roland to a few less boring TV shows once I get on the swim team. The shit is mind-numbingly awful.

"So back to my question," I say, repositioning myself with a groan. "What do you know about that jackass from the locker room?"

"Bennett? Not much. Even when Weston was on the team, Bennett didn't do much of the talking. I know he's a junior, studying kinesiology, and is one hell of a swimmer. Other than that, I just do what I can to stay out of his way."

"Not a fan of the guy?"

"Not really."

He responds flatly, but there's an edge of anger to his voice that gets me curious. Roland's far from a violent or aggressive guy, but he's also not afraid to stand up for himself. Bennett couldn't wait to confront me in the locker room today without pause.