Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Roland paces behind me while we wait for Bennett. I internally chide myself for drinking as much as I have. I could have driven myself home but apparently my vodka and cranberry sweet tooth was in full gear tonight. Now I'm waiting for the likes of Bennett to save me. Roland's eyes never leave me as I gaze out the front window.

From the corner of my eye, I notice Roland running his hands through his hair in frustration. He stops behind me and sighs.

"Trey, it doesn't have to be like this," he pleads calmly.

I don't respond. He takes a step towards me and I tense at his closeness.

"I finally got you here," he continues, and his voice drops to a whisper. "Please don't leave with him."

I slowly turn to face him, crossing my arms over my chest and staring down at him in a haze of anger.

"And what about Weston?" I ask suddenly. "How does he feel about all of this?"

Roland jerks back a step, wounded. He shakes his head. Confusion clouds over his deep eyes. For almost an entire year he hid his one and only relationship from me. Now that I think back on it, I actually remember Weston attending more than a handful of our parties throughout the year.

How did I not notice the way the two of them were always together? How they'd always manage to sneak out at some point for one reason or another?

Unwanted jealousy stirs within me. I'm pissed that other people knew more about my best friend than I did. And I can't hide the fact that I'm jealous knowing someone slept with him too. The dangerous emotion seeps into my brain, and before I have a chance to filter the words coming out of my mouth, a question spews from my lips.

"So tell me, did you fuck him or did he fuck you?"

I'm not sure how I expect for him to respond. Maybe looking away with a blush. Or perhaps glancing up at me with a piteous expression and hoping I'll see reason. What I don't expect, however, is for his spine to straighten in defiance.

"You can be as mad as you want about what happened with Annie," he responds slowly. "But I refuse to let you make me feel bad about being in a relationship when you were sleeping with just about every college chick who came into this house and spread her legs for you."

I open my mouth to object, but what's there to say? He's right. When I don't respond he shakes his head. Bitterness swarms in Roland's expression as he reaches around me to open the door.

"When you want to talk, I'll be here," Roland mutters. "Your ride is here."

He purses his lips but doesn't say more. My phone buzzes in my pocket, but I already know who it is. Roland must have seen Bennett pull into the parking lot. He glances over my shoulder for only a brief moment before turning his back on me and walking into the kitchen.

Drunk, unwanted tears of anger and frustration rise up my throat. This wasn't how tonight was supposed to go. And what's worse? It's all my fault. I know I should try to talk to him. Leaving this conversation as it is right now will make our next conversation even harder.

But I can't.

So instead I scrape my shirt off the floor, tossing it over my shoulder, and leave the one and only place that feels like home.

_______________________________

Bennett doesn't even acknowledge me when I slide into the passenger side of his car. To my surprise, the entire ride is spent in needed silence. My thoughts spin as the last drink works its way through my system. This night was supposed to be making things better between Roland and me. Yet somehow things got worse.