Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Weston?

The name rings a bell. Roland's talked about him a handful of times before, and now that I see him standing in front of me, I recognize him from a few swim meets last semester. Weston's the best swimmer on the team. Or, was. It's because he quit that there's an open spot on the swim team now.

"Weston," I say, reaching a hand around Bennett in introduction. "Nice to meet you. I'm Trey."

There's an odd pause following my words, one that once again makes me feel like I'm missing something. Weston's bright eyes bounce between Bennett and me. With only a slight hesitation, he shakes my hand. His eyes roam over my face.

"I've heard a lot about you."

That's all he says before dropping my hand. It's a coy way to avoid exchanging pleasantries. If he's heard a lot about me, he probably detests me too. I can't imagine much of what Bennett has shared with him puts me under a positive light.

"So you're trying out for the team again?" I ask.

I shouldn't ask something like that. Really, I shouldn't care. Whether Weston tries out or not, I'll give it my all. My nerves are getting the better of me, though. Even when I was at the top of my game, Weston's times surpass mine. A few weeks of not being in the pool won't change that.

"I'm giving it some thought," Weston finally answers and then glances over to Roland.

My best friend keeps his gaze focused on his bowl of oatmeal, stirring the thick liquid in slow circles. His jaw is set into a firm line. It's one of the first times I've seen him uncomfortable.

"It's good to see you, Roland. How have you been?" Weston asks.

Bennett's nostrils flare and he tilts his head towards the ceiling. Roland looks over at me, his expression both apologetic and accusatory. If it wasn't for me, this littler altercation wouldn't be happening. If you could even call it that. Thus far, more communication has been exchanged via body language than actual words.

Roland reaches into his pocket, pulling out a twenty from his wallet and tossing it on the table. He pushes out of the booth and steps around Bennett and Weston as if they're invisible.

"I'll meet you out in the car, Trey," Roland says with a strained voice.

He stuffs his hands into his pockets and walks away without another word. I frown after him. Weston watches him leave too, and the anger in his gaze is almost identical to Bennett's when he looks at me. Speaking of Bennett, he continues his role of biggest asshole on the planet while reaching across the table to grab a piece of Roland's uneaten toast.

"Please," I say and wave towards the empty booth across from me. "Make yourself comfortable."

My voice is dripping with sarcasm, but Bennett still feels the need to respond with condescension.

"No, thanks. Even being this close to you is making me lose my appetite."

Weston closes his eyes and pinches the bridge of his nose. "Alright, Bennett. That's enough."

Bennett purses his lips, fighting the urge to say more. Well, well, well. It appears Roland's assessment was right. Weston is the key to calming Bennett down – or, at the very least, making him more human. It's a shame good ol' Westie wasn't around the first time I met Bennett to make him more likeable. Then again, if Weston had been around, there probably wouldn't be a need for me to fight for a spot on the team in the first place.