Chapter 14

Chapter 14

The next few days drag by in a slow routine of uncomfortable tension, minimal conversation, and guarded expressions. The only time I seem to find enjoyment is through swimming. My endurance is coming back to me, and every practice is better than the last.

But even during my sleep, my dreams seem to feed off my worries and guilt. Roland hasn't spoken a word to me since I told him I was moving out. He goes out of his way to avoid communicating with me during practice, a tactic that a few other teammates are utilizing as well.

Whatever. Their loss.

No matter how much I can shrug off their attitude though, I can't manage to do the same for my best bud. He's in the wrong, hands down. Even so, it's hard not to miss the guy. He's pretty much been the only consistent person in my life over the last year. Not having him around doesn't just feel weird. It feels lonely, too.

I unlock Bennett's front door and nudge it open with my shoulder. Music and heat devour the cold air at the threshold, and I shiver while closing the door behind me. Bennett pops his head around the kitchen wall and nods in greeting.

He has a habit of ignoring my presence at practice...and most of the time at his condo, too. The small greeting takes me by surprise, and I find myself walking into the kitchen because of it. Bennett is standing in front of the stove. Shirtless. His long hair is pulled back into a sloppy ponytail, and he pushes around whatever meat is occupying the pan with a wooden spoon.

The music streaming from the speaker on the cabinet is a mix between classic rock and pop. It's a tune I haven't heard before, but Bennett bobs his head to the solid beat. My eyes trail along his lean back. Every time he turns the spoon, a muscle tics along his shoulder.

I want to say something so he knows I'm in here with him, but nothing comes to mind. As one song carries over to the next, however, Bennett glances over his shoulder. I tense, preparing myself for whatever antagonizing words he's about to throw my way.

"I'm having a few guys over," he says over the ACDC song, turning back to his steaming pan of food. "So you either need to make yourself scarce or get that pole out of your ass. Your choice."

Hmm. Not nearly as bad as I expected. Some might even call that an invitation to join in on 'guy night.' I slide my gym bag off my shoulder and plop it down on the nearest kitchen chair. Tomorrow will mark a full week since I've been here, and I feel like more of a stranger in Bennett's home than I did on day one.

Of course, being drunk that first night made being here a whole helluva lot more bearable.

Despite how uncomfortable our living arrangement is, Bennett hasn't dropped any hints that he wants me to move out. Not yet, anyway. He hasn't even asked if I've started looking for a place. Then again, anything along those lines would require a conversation – a form of communication that is scarce when it comes to the two of us.

"Who's all stopping over?" I ask, unsure of whether I should sit down or stay standing.

"A few buddies from class. Weston."

"Anyone from swim?"

Bennett turns around to glance at me again. "Roland won't be here, if that's what you're asking."

I drop my gaze, staring at the frayed threads of my gym bag. I didn't think my question was that obvious, but apparently Bennett knew where I was headed all the same. Then again, there's no one else on the team I really talk to aside from Erik and Cameron whenever he wants to hear his own voice.