Chapter 37

Chapter 37

Roland pulls into the makeshift parking lot. The gravel crunches beneath the tires, and the summer air becomes warmer when he cuts the engine. A few other party-goers make their way to the isolated house surrounded by lake and forest. I get out of the car and Jordan is by my side a second later, nervously linking her arm with mine.

The two of us study the large house as we wait for Roland. It's definitely an older home. The paint is faded and chipping. Most of the shingles are loose, and the windows remind me of something you'd see out of a horror film. It could certainly use a few renovations. And that's putting it lightly.

I turn my gaze. The setting sun casts a soft glow over the lake and the water shimmers in response. Glittering jewels sitting on a sea of silk.

"Well her house looks like it's a whisper away from collapsing, but I can see how the pros outweigh the cons. That's one helluva view."

Jordan nods in agreement. Roland flanks Jordan's other side, and the three of us make our way up the hill. Laughter and thumping bass carry across the humid air. I can't tell what the song is, but I'm already picturing the man behind the sound system who chose it. Roland and Jordan pick up light conversation – something about wine. Or maybe about a guy who is fine. Or pine? Shine?

I don't know. I'm not paying attention. Blood pounds against my ears when we reach the lawn. The Hawaiian theme is everywhere. Almost everyone is wearing the vibrant and colorful floral pattern. A few women even have a flower in their hair. There are a few Bags games set up near the front of the house, and a volleyball net is set up closer to the lake. A game is already in full-swing. The white ball floats over the net, and a shirtless guy wearing a coconut bra dives to dig the ball back into play.

"You see her?"

I hear Roland half-whisper and half-scream the question to Jordan as we make our way to the food and drink table. Jordan's bashful glance flits over the various faces until settling on someone near the second set of Bags. A deep blush fills her cheeks and she nods her head in the general direction. Roland and I both follow her gaze.

Based on Jordan's trembling arm threaded through mine, this must be Lana. My eyes sweep over the woman walking towards us. She's tall, maybe over 6'0. Her lanky arms swing at her sides, and she smirks at Jordan while taking a long drink of her beer. The side of her head is shaved. The rest is covered with straight, raven black and falls to the bottom of her chin.

A tattoo covers most of her right forearm. Her body is thin and her curves are minimal. What stands out to me than anything else though, is her confidence. It exudes from her every step and her every look.

"Jordan. Glad you made it."

Lana shouts over the music. Her green eyes finally break away from my roommate, and she swivels her gaze to give Roland and I quick once-over. She clutches the neck of her beer bottle and brings her free hand under her chin in contemplation.

"Let me guess," she shouts before pointing at Roland. "This must be Roland."

Jordan's blush deepens and she nods. Roland smiles and introduces himself to Lana. Irritated, I stick my hand out and shout to get Lana's attention.

"And I'm Trey. Jordan's roommate."

Lana's bright eyes dance over to my face. She frowns and shakes her head. "Sorry, Trey. Jordan's never mentioned you."

My nostrils flare. I'm about ready to make a snide comment, but then Lana's expression smooths into a cocky smirk and Jordan starts giggling beside me. Lana slides her gaze back to Jordan.