Chapter 27

Chapter 27

I spend the next few days at the local hotel. The first thing I do is call the swim coach and let him know I won't be there for practice the next few days. He doesn't press for an explanation, but I can hear the disappointment in his tone.

After a beat of silence, I explain that I'm looking for a place to stay. He's quiet for a moment and then tells me if I need anything to call. Guilt knots around my intestines when I assure him I'll be back by Thursday at the very latest.

After that phone call, I turn my phone off.

And keep it off.

I know I could make it to practice if I really tried. But the thought of seeing Bennett or dealing with any of the other drama surrounding my life sounds unbearable. Instead I spend my time sleeping and wallowing in my own self-pity.

Productive, I know.

On Tuesday night, I force myself to start looking for one-bedroom apartments. Of course, there's nothing available. I know if I call my parents and ask them to deposit more money into my bank account they will, but that will inevitably raise questions – questions I'd rather not discuss with my folks.

I need to find something in the same price range as rent at Roland's apartment. That pang of loneliness hallows out my stomach thinking about my best friend. I haven't spoken with him in days and yet it feels like years. A piece of me wanted to be at his doorstep the night I left Bennett's apartment. But I couldn't bring myself to do it.

By the time Wednesday rolls around, I start getting desperate. I pull out my laptop and search through the local ads to see if anyone is looking for a roommate. After an hour of searching I find one that is in my price range and close to campus.

With a heavy sigh I pick up the hotel phone and dial the contact number. It rings three times before a feminine voice radiates against my eardrum.

"Hello?"

I check the ad again, making sure I called the right number. The contact name associated with the number is Jordan, and I frown while cradling the phone against my shoulder.

"Ah, hey. Is this Jordan?"

"Yes, speaking."

Huh, Jordan is a female. Interesting.

"Yea, this is Trey. I saw your ad in the paper that you're looking for a roommate..."

"Oh great. Mind telling me a bit about yourself?"

I lean back in the hotel office chair, prattling off the normal facts – my name, age, college student, member of the swim team.

"You're a part of the men's swim team?"

"Yea."

I'm not sure what I expect in response. Maybe for her try and flirt or hit on me in some fashion. But she does neither.

"Ah. Well, I guess that'll take some getting used to."

I raise my brow in surprise. Take some getting used to? What's that supposed to mean? After a moment of silence, Jordan picks up the conversation.

"So anyway, as you saw in the ad, it's a three-bedroom townhouse. Right now it's just me here, but I've got another Engineering student moving in at the end of summer."

"Cool."

"The rent on that ad includes all utilities except for internet and cable. That's an extra thirty-five bucks a month if you want it."