Chapter 34

After rushing through a shower, I spend more time than I care to admit picking out an outfit for the day. I flip through my selection of clean clothes for a second time before settling on a baby blue t-shirt. It's one that shows off my arms and slender build, a fact proven true by the number of compliments I received the last time I wore it to a college party. It's not the greatest shirt to wear with a pair of khakis, but I think a dress shirt would be overkill for a casual visit with Roland.

My pile of clothes from the night before catch my eye. They're still lying in a disgruntled heap at the foot of the bed. I squint down, imagining the way they looked with Bennett's clothes lying overtop of them. An overwhelming mix of emotions swells inside my chest – everything from desire to rejection. It's been over an hour since I woke up, and I still haven't heard from Bennett.

What's he doing? Why did he leave?

I kick the clothes towards the hamper and grab my phone off the nightstand. The smoke in the hallway has dissipated, but the smells of bacon grease and burning electrical wire still sit stagnant in the air. Just as I pass the kitchen, Jordan pulls her head out of the refrigerator with a slightly wrinkled orange in her hand.

She shuts it with her elbow and eyes me from head to toe. "You look awfully fancified."

I self-consciously run a hand down my shirt and shrug. "I thought I should look a bit nicer if the cologne I'm sporting around the rest of the day is burned bacon and electrical wire."

Jordan narrows her eyes. "Last time I give you a compliment," she grumbles.

She shoulders past me and plunks down on the couch. A small amount of juice squirts into the air as she starts to peel her orange. A moment later the vibrant, citrus smell tentatively moves through the living room.

"I'm only teasing," I say, shaking my head. "I mean, it's true. But it's said with love."

Jordan rolls her eyes, but a hint of smile tugs at her lips. Good. She's not actually mad. If it was Annie, that would have turned into a ten-minute fight.

"So where are you off to?" Jordan asks, digging her nails further into the orange peel. "Heading to the store to pick out groceries for the epic dinner you're making me tonight?"

Shit. Dinner. I forgot about that. After seeing Roland I was planning on swinging by Bennett's condo. For what purpose, I'm not exactly sure. I just know that was my original plan. Maybe it's better that I don't, though. As much as I hate to admit it, last night is affecting me more emotionally than I thought it would. My initial feelings of rejection are deepening, and dare I say I'm starting to miss Bennett's presence.

Yea. It's pathetic – especially since it appears it was just another night of fun on Bennett's end. I press my lips together into a mulish line as more painful desire prickles against my chest.

"I'm actually heading over to see a buddy of mine from the swim team," I explain. "But I'll stop at the grocery store after that. Anything in particular sound good?"

Jordan tosses another section of orange peel onto the table. "Anything edible and doesn't require the use of a microwave."

I snort and shake my head, twirling the keys around my index finger before stuffing them in my pocket. "Sounds good. I'll see you later tonight then?"

"Sounds good."

Just before I close the door to our apartment, Jordan shouts for me not to forget dessert. This time I actually laugh. I have to admit. My roommate is pretty badass.