Chapter 28

Chapter 28

The next morning I groan when my alarm clock chirps and skids across the coffee table. I mumble something incoherent and push myself into a sitting position on the couch. The Chinese food remnants from last night are circled around it, caging in the annoying sound. I stab a few buttons until it stops, and I hear a breathy 'it's about time' muttered from the kitchen.

I lean back and squint. Jordan's sitting at the kitchen table. The lighting is dimmed, and she clutches a cup of coffee between her fingers before reaching down and flicking past another page. Her oversized shirt has been replaced with a gray tank top with a grotesque looking cat on it.

I'm up in plenty of time for my morning practice, but it's barely 6:00 a.m. Why the hell is she up too?

I force myself to stand and stagger to the kitchen with a yawn. The smell of Chinese food is stagnant in the air, but the freshly brewed coffee seems to be battling with the scent for the win.

"You're up early," I mutter.

Jordan doesn't look up but lowers the coffee mug to the table. "I've got a test today."

Ah, summer classes. That's right.

"Ah, ok. Good luck."

"Thanks." Her gaze flickers to the couch and she glances up at me. "Do you make it a habit of crashing on the couch and snoring as loud as a jackhammer?"

I rub the sleep away from my eyes. "Depends on my mood. I still have all my bedding in storage. After practice this morning, I'll swing by and get it."

She hums under her breath and turns her gaze back to her studies. Sensing she's not particularly in the mood for conversation, I yawn again and head towards the bathroom to change. I haven't been to practice in days.

My stomach rolls with nerves knowing I have to see Bennett and Roland in less than a half hour. Or maybe that's the Chinese working its way through me. Either way, it doesn't change the fact that I have to see them. The real question is – what will I say?

________________

I force myself to get to practice early. My nerves must have found their way to my accelerator too, because by the time I race into the locker room, I'm the first one there besides Cameron. He doesn't ask where I've been. He simply gives me a nod of acknowledgement and heads towards the pool.

My fingers tremble as I shove my bag into the locker and throw my towel over my shoulder. Just as I reach the door to the pool, familiar voices begin drifting into the locker room. It's Erik and Roland.

His voice is a sound I haven't heard in far too long...yet before all this happened, it's a sound I heard on a daily basis. It's a sound I took for granted. I swallow hard and push through the locker room. I made the mistake of turning on my phone last night before falling asleep.

I had a few texts from Annie asking to talk, a missed call from Erik, a missed call from Coach, and a few texts from my mom. That was it. No texts from Roland. No texts from Bennett. I have to admit, I expected to see something from at least one of them, especially since I wasn't at practice all week.

But no, nothing....and somehow that makes things even worse.

Perhaps Roland doesn't know that Bennett pseudo-kicked me out, though. Bennett certainly isn't the most talkative guy, but I can't imagine him not sharing the news with Weston. And if Weston knows, Roland won't be far behind.

"Trey! Welcome back."

Coach Andrew shouts to me in greeting from the end of the lane. His trusty clipboard is secured under his arm and pressing against the side of his slightly oversized belly.