Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Laughter sends shooting pain up and down my ribs. I clutch my side, relaxing against the couch to ease some of the tension. In reality, the movie probably isn't that funny. Hell, I know it's not that funny. But with a few drinks sloshing around my stomach, the humor is hitting me just right.

Roland sits on the opposite end of the couch. Every time I laugh he smirks, the sound of my laughter causing him to smile rather than the movie. He's always such a composed guy. Even during our roughest times in high school, I was the one to lose my temper first. Never him.

A pizza box lays open on the carpeted rug. Roland has to be at least a little tipsy or else this pizza would already be cleaned up, wrapped, and in the fridge for safe keeping. When there's a lull in the next scene, he gets up from the couch and reaches over to me.

"You need a refill?" he asks, nodding to the almost-empty glass in my hand.

I glance down and roll the remaining liquid around the bottom of the cup. I've already had three, and all of them went straight to my head. I chuckle and lazily glance up at my best bed.

"You trying to get me drunk?"

Roland stiffens at the question, but when he realizes I'm joking, his shoulders relax a bit. His coy smirk becomes curious as he gently takes the glass from my hands.

"Do you want me to get you drunk?"

His tone is light, but the question makes me reel.

What's he trying to ask?

I swallow hard and stare up at him from my seated position on the couch. He looks taller than normal. His brown hair is longer than I remember it being too. I'm used to it being cut short, but now it's long enough for him to run his fingers through it.

What does his hair feel like? Is it thick and soft?

"Do you want me to be drunk?" I counter, slightly slurring my words.

Roland snorts and shakes his head. "I prefer you sober, Trey. But I want you to be comfortable. To have fun."

My shoulders sag at the lack of banter. Had I asked Bennett that question, he probably would have sent another zinger my way to keep the questions going. I blink and shake my head, refusing to allow Bennett into my thoughts while I'm trying to reconnect with Roland.

"Right," I mutter. "To have fun."

I glance behind him and stare at the TV. My voice sounds disappointed, but I'm not sure why. Was I really hoping he'd admit that he wanted me drunk? A heated blush rises up through my neck when I realize I the answer to my silent, internal question is yes.

I was hoping he wanted to get me drunk...so he could kiss me again. Because I want to kiss him again. Roland tells me he'll back in a few minutes and starts heading towards the kitchen to get me another drink. I stare at the TV, no longer listening to the characters or the words coming out of their mouth.

It's all just noise, and my thoughts are too loud for me to concentrate. I stand from the couch and glance around the living room. The thermostat is on the corner by the front door. I stumble over to it and squint at its reading. It says 68 degrees, but that can't be right. It's so damn hot in here.

Without reservation I tug on the end of my shirt, pulling it over my head and tossing it on the floor. I traipse into the kitchen and lean against the doorway. Roland doesn't hear me approach, and I watch him pulling the vodka and cranberry juice from the fridge. He unscrews the lid of the vodka and pours a generous amount into both cups before grabbing for the cranberry juice to water them down.