Chapter 31

Chapter 31

By the time Friday night rolls around, my arms and legs are like limp noodles. I sprawl out across the couch, gingerly putting ice packs on each of my thighs. Jordan whistles as she rounds the corner of the hallway. She's wearing a pair of plaid boxer shorts and a bulky long-sleeved shirt with the words My Thoughts are a Stream of Never-ending Memes written across the front.

A towel is twirled around her hair, showcasing her soft, feminine features beneath the low light of the living room. Her whistle tapers off to silence when she sees me taking up the full length of the couch. Then her focus settles on my ice packs.

"Why are my bags of frozen broccoli melting against your sweaty man thighs?"

"They're serving a dual purpose as ice packs," I respond with a grunt. "And they're not sweaty."

Jordan rolls her eyes and plops herself down on the chair. She swipes up her textbook resting on the coffee table and curls her feet under her legs to start studying.

"Any plans tonight?" I ask after a stretch of silence.

She doesn't glance up but nods to her book in response. "I want to get ahead for next week's lectures."

I sigh and relax my head against the end of the couch. If Roland was straight, I'd swear I found his other half. Well, besides the fact that she can't cook. It's not like I can say much about her lack of a social life, though. Since moving in here a few days ago, my days have consisted of moving into my new apartment, sitting through a barely tolerable conversation with my ex, and swim practice.

Those three don't exactly add up to a riveting repertoire.

"We should go out tonight," I announce suddenly.

Jordan hesitates on her page. Her skimming eyes come to a halt, but she doesn't look up at me. "Pass."

"It's Friday night," I argue, already prepared for her decline. "You have all weekend to study. And besides, how much are you really going to get done with me bugging you every two minutes?"

"Well the latter is certainly a good point."

I smirk and bite back a laugh thinking about her snoring comment from a few days ago. She can whine all she wants, though. I know she's enjoying the company...and to be honest, so am I.

"We'll just go for an hour," I continue. "And then we'll head back here and call it a night. Deal?"

"No."

I roll onto my side and give her the best puppy-dog look I can muster. "I'll be the designated driver."

"I don't drink."

I shrug. "Great. Then you can be mine."

She finally lifts her gaze and gives me a deadpan stare. "If I go out with you somewhere, and I mean if, what do I get out of it?"

I tilt my head to the side, reviewing all the facts I know about her before giving my end of the proposition.

"Not only will I clean the kitchen tomorrow," I start out, "but I'll also cook a homemade meal tomorrow night."

The promise of food made from scratch as opposed to the microwave holds Jordan's attention. She stares at me for a long, hard minute before her features relax in defeat. She slams her book closed and shoves it back onto the coffee table.

"Fine," she mutters. "But you're chipping in and buying me dessert too."

_________________________