Chapter 41

Chapter 41

By midnight the party is in full swing. Sorry – get-together. After Jordan almost has a panic attack at the number of people in our apartment, Roland and I take charge and encourage the group in our living to move outside. He saves the day and starts a bonfire, cranking up the music to ease any grumbling irritations along the way.

Before tonight I always thought Jordan and I had a large backyard. Seeing about forty people squeezed in the small space, however, makes it seem incredibly small. Dozens of people cram around the bonfire and sing along to the song blaring from the speaker. It's not one I recognize, but from the looks of it, it's pretty popular.

Roland waves to me across the lawn and points towards the patio door. I nod and meet him at the back door, leaning in to hear him over the music.

"Where's your shadow?" he whisper-shouts with a laugh.

I roll my eyes but a grin touches my lips anyway. I know, I know – I can't help it. The dude is hot as shit and has got me by the balls, even if he doesn't realize it. And staying true to his word, Bennett really hasn't left my side tonight. Even the few times someone from swim team stopped him for a quick conversation, his gaze was never far.

His bold, green eyes seem to follow me wherever I go. Whenever they meet my gaze, a seductive grin quickly settles across his lips as if to say 'I told you, Trey. You have my attention.'

I'm acting as unaffected as possible, but I can't deny that his attempts to break through are working. I know the guy has charm and seduction in spades, but from day one he's detested me. I was on the receiving end of the harshness of his personality, his anger and disdain.

What he's showing me now is the part of him that, up until today, I've only experienced in exceptionally small doses whenever his cold façade began to slip. It's a side of him I've never seen before. And to be honest, it's intoxicating.

I elbow Roland in the side. "Whatever, man. What'd you need?"

My best friend points a thumb back towards the campfire. "These guys are going through the alcohol like it's water. I was thinking of bringing out the metal skewers with some hot dogs and fixings for s'mores. Give them a chance to sober up a bit with some food?"

I think through all the food and groceries Roland purchased for tonight. We weren't expecting this kind of turn out, but between the s'mores and hot dogs, we should have enough to feed everyone at least a small snack.

"Yea," I agree. "I'll head in and grab everything."

"You need a hand?" Bennett asks.

Roland raises an amused brow as Bennett comes up behind me, inconspicuously sliding his hand around my hip. My pulse quickens at his nearness, and the heat of his breath against my neck once again makes my dick twitch in desire. I swear by end of tonight I'll be going to bed with blue balls if he keeps this shit up.

Roland opens the patio door for me and nods for us to head inside, not at all trying to cover up his teasing, ear-splitting grin. I step inside and hear Bennett's footsteps following behind me. He closes the door, and the shouts and noise from outside become muted. I head towards the cabinets and start pulling down the boxes of graham crackers and packages of chocolate.

Bennett leans against the counter. I can feel his eyes on me, and I brace myself before meeting his gaze. His green eyes seem to glitter beneath the kitchen lights, and the smirk he's worn all night falls back into place.

"You can grab the buns," I say nodding my head towards the pantry.

A mischievous gleam flickers across Bennett's expression. He glances towards the patio door and then pushes himself off the counter. His hands are on me a second later, sliding down my back before settling on my ass. He squeezes and my stomach tightens at the touch.