Chapter 1

Carter started to slowly creep up on his best friend of three years, Leah. He spied her strawberry blonde hair from across the food court and had to take this opportunity to scare the shit out of her. He quickly made his way across the food court and ducked behind a small crowd of people waiting in line. Leah was not paying attention to her surroundings, as usual, and Carter knew he could easily get close to her without her knowing. 

As he slid up behind her, he grabbed her shoulders and whispered "Boo!" into her ear.

"AH! What the fuck, Carter?! You are an asshole." She turned around, her emerald green eyes glaring at her best friend.  "Aw, come on, Leah, you know you love me. " Carter laughed. 

A small smile played on her lips as she muttered "Dick" and hugged him.  "So, what brings my best friend, who is fashion challenged, to the mall, without me to guide her?" Carter asks raising an eyebrow. 

"Well, if you must know, I have to buy some new panties." Leah sighed. "Really? Again?" Carter asked her. "Yup, apparently someone has a problem." Leah told him, looking utterly disgusted. Carter eyed his gorgeous friend. "Girl, you are just too hot for a man to resist." She scoffed "If that were true, then why am I still single? I have not had a decent boyfriend in over a year." 

"You are beautiful, it is the men that are a problem. Listen to me you have gorgeous long strawberry blonde hair, the most beautiful emerald green eyes, fair perfect skin with just enough freckles that make you adorable. You are short, but tall guys love that, 5'2" is the perfect height. You are curvy with a tiny waist but a great rack and just enough booty to pop. Girl, you are hot and if the boys around here can't see it then, baby, they are blind. Hell, if I were straight, I would be all over  you." Carter told her with a serious expression. This, of course, made Leah burst out laughing. "You are too much, Carter. That is why I love you." 

"You are too hot to handle, Carter. I wish you were straight, our babies would be to die for. With your deep chocolate brown hair and eyes and your incredible olive toned skin. We could have a big Greek wedding. Stupid me for being a girl." Leah giggled at him. Carter beamed her a smile and threw an arm over her shoulder, leading her towards Victoria's Secret. "Come on, sweetie, let's go replace what the creep stole and then we will eat."  

Just then, Leah's phone rang and she pulled it from her purse. "Hello, this is Leah. How can I help you?" 

"Hello, Leah. My name is Grant Montgomery and I am with Montgomery and Tanner law offices. I am sorry to tell that your Uncle Thomas Tucker has passed away. He mentioned you in his last will and testament and your presence is required for the reading in three days at my office."

"Um, are you sure you have the right person? As far as I knew, I didn't have any family left."

"Yes, Ms. Tucker, I am sure. Your Uncle and his brother, Your Father, Gregory Tucker, were estranged for a very long time. However, you are his only living relative and he wanted you to have something."

"Oh, I see. Where exactly is your office, Mr. Montgomery?"

"Please, call me Grant. My office is located in Eatonville, Washington."

"Washington! Like the state? Oh, that is a bit of a drive from Texas, Mr.-Grant."

"Not to worry, Leah. Your uncle made sure everything was taken care of. Tomorrow afternoon there will be a ticket waiting for you at the airport. I will email you all the specifics. See you soon, Leah."

"Wait-" The phone call was ended. Leah looked up at Carter with wide eyes. "Did you hear all of that?" He nodded, wide-eyed as well. Then he squealed like a ten-year-old girl and hugged her. "This is a big adventure. Leah. Don't worry about it, take what life gives you and run with it" 

"Will you come with me?"  Leah asked in a small voice, still lost at what just happened. "Of course, darling. I would never make you go it alone. Now, we are going to need a few things, Texas is warm and dry. Washington is cool and damp. Let's go shopping." They walked around to mall arm in arm for the better part of the day.

When Leah and Carter returned to Leah's small studio apartment just outside of downtown Houston, Leah checked her email. There was an email from Grant Montgomery. "Ok, we need to be at the airport by 10:00 am, our flight leaves at noon and we will have to fight through security. So let's get packed up." Leah said in a rush. Carter had to laugh at her nerves. "Listen, honey, everything is going to be fine. I will help you pack. No stress."  She smiled at him. "I wish I had your calm energy. You are never nervous, I am always a mess."  

"That, doll, is why we are a great team." Carter winked at her. "Yikes, it says it is only fifty-eight degrees in Washington. I am going to freeze to death!" Leah shuddered. "and that is why we bought coats and warm clothes." Carter laughed. The rest of the evening was spent packing. Carter had most of his stuff at her apartment since he was there more than his crowded dorm. "I'm starving. I am thinking Chinese?" Leah told him. "Yeah, we have been packing forever!" Carter sighed, dramatically making Leah laugh.  

After dinner and a quick double check of their luggage, Carter and Leah cuddled up together on Leah's Queen sized bed. "I'm so glad that you are my best friend, Carter. I don't know what I would do without you. After losing Mom and Dad right after high school and losing everything because of the debt they had racked up, I felt so alone. I was glad for the scholarship for college and meeting you. You pulled me out of my funk and showed me how to be myself again." Leah sighed against Carter's chest. Carter was running his fingers through her soft long hair. "Sweetie, you are my best friend, I would do anything for you. You saved me, too. You showed me that it was ok to be gay when my family shunned me. You are like the sister I never had but always wanted." 

"Carter, you have five sisters." Leah giggled. "Yeah, but I don't want any of them. They are all slutty tramps who think they are better than everyone else." Carter whined. "Good night, Carter. I love you." Leah yawned. "Good night, Leah. I love you, too." Then sleep overtook them.