Chapter 4

Mark's POV the day Leah arrived.

I have been feeling strange all day. As Alpha, I had to push the feeling aside and take care of my pack. It had been a rough few days. The hunters were being a giant pain in my ass and they had killed the former Beta, Thom. I was pissed. Thom was a good man. he had stepped down as Beta last year and Joe took his place since Thom didn't have any kids. I was beyond frustrated that I haven't found my mate yet. Most wolves find there by their eighteenth birthday. I am almost twenty-five and have been Alpha for the last five years with no Luna, this is not good for the pack. I just can't bring myself to look for another woman, I want my mate. There is a knock on my office door. "Come in." I holler. "Alpha." Grant says as he enters. "What can I do for you, Grant?" Grant is a good man, I am proud to have him in my pack. "Thom's niece will be here in about an hour. She brought a friend. Joe is bringing her to my office first then I will take her to Thom's place. He left it all to her." Grant said sadly. He was excited for Leah to finally be coming home, but he missed his best friend. 

"That's good to hear. I am glad she is coming home, finally. I was only about six or seven when they left, but I remember how funny she was." I smiled at Grant. He gave me a smile of his own and nodded. "She was so full of life and so smart for a little thing. She never did shift, Thom told me. She doesn't know anything. I am worried about it." I sighed. "Well, she will have to know. We need to teach her. She belongs here, with her people." My father said entering the office. "Roland" Grant greeted him. "Grant" My father nodded. 

"When they left, I was Alpha. I was devastated. Greg was a good friend. He thought he was doing what was best for his family. I damn sorry to hear she isn't a wolf but she is quite strong. Thom kept tabs on her all these years. She is an athlete and very smart. Full scholarship to college. I am sure she will make a good addition to the pack." I nodded, "But what about the friend she is bringing with her?". 

"Apparently, Thom checked him out since they have been inseparable the last three years and he is good. His Mother is a witch. He doesn't know. No biggie." Dad shrugged. "Ok then. We will meet up with them tomorrow. Grant, bring them here in the morning and we will see what all we can do for her." Grant nodded and left. "I am going for a run, Dad. I have been antsy all day." He laughed. "You are going to meet  your mate soon." 

I am running free through the woods, the wind in my fur is the best feeling in the world. I have been running for hours when the most wonderful smell hits me. Sugar cookies and hazelnut coffee. MATE! I follow the scent all the way to Thom's cabin. Leah? Well, that explains a lot. I can't find my mate if she wasn't even here. I can't go to her, which aggravates me but I don't want to scare her. I run to the back of the house, it is almost all windows, maybe I can catch a glimpse of her. I see a light come on in Thom's office and see her standing in front of the window. She is wearing very short shorts and a strappy tank top. Wow, she is beautiful. I can't make out too much of her features because she is too far away, I can't get any closer or she may see me and get scared. I can see she has a great body though. I can't hear her because Thom's office is soundproof. It's a werewolf thing. I see a man walk over to her and wipe her face and pull her into his arms and growl rumbles in my chest. MINE! She smiles at him and pulls away. I hear them in the bedroom a few minutes later. "I love you, Carter." "I love you, too, Leah." Well shit. this isn't going to be easy. I am going to have to fight for my mate. I will win because I need her. 

The night was horrible. I got no sleep. All I could think of was Leah. 

Now it's morning and I have showered and shaved. I need to make a good impression on Leah. Mom and Dad are sitting at the table when I get to the kitchen. "Morning" Mom greets me. "I found her." I can't keep it to myself. "Who? Your mate?" Dad grins. "Who is it? You have already met all the girls in the pack? It isn't a human, is it? They are so hard to convince." Mom says worriedly. "I was out running when I smelled sugar cookies and hazelnut coffee so I followed it straight to Thom's place. It's Leah, Dad." He jumps up and slaps me on the back. "I knew it! I knew that you two would be mates. I told Greg that the day she was born. You were glued to her from the first time you met her. This is great!" We ate breakfast and talked about what to do since Leah didn't know about us yet. We just decided to ease her into it so as not to overwhelm her. 

I had just made it to my office when I smelled her and I smiled. Grant knocked on the door and I yelled, "Come in, Grant." As the door came open I heard her whisper, "It must be a werewolf thing." I was confused but decided to play it by ear. Then I saw her. Long strawberry blonde hair that hung all the way down her back, big emerald green eyes, cute little nose with a sprinkle of freckles, full pouty red lips. Oh, Goddess! She is gorgeous. Her eyes met mine and she beamed a smile at me and pulled her friend, Carter, in behind her. "Hi, I am Leah Tucker and This is my friend, Carter Stevenson." I stood up and walked around my desk. "Hello, I am Mark. It is very nice to see you again, Leah." She stuck her hand out and when I grabbed it, it was like touching Old Man Craft's electric fence when I was ten and Joe dared me to do it. She must have felt it too because her beautiful eyes widened and met mine. I was lost, swimming in pools of emerald green. "Oh, my" She whispered. I grinned. Oh, my was right. This may not be as hard I thought.