15

It had been two weeks and Harry still didn't come to visit Mai and by the time she was checked out of the hospital; she had full mobility on one leg and 50% on the other. She just wanted to get out of there. It was too quiet. She felt like a burden once the nurse realized that she was alone and started playing card games with her to keep her busy.

It wasn't normal protocol and Mai refused continuously, but Nurse Katie had become really close to her the past few weeks. After a few days they had become like sisters; definitely since Mai had never really had anyone to call 'family' after Rose's betrayal with Harry. Katie was ending her shift and since Mai had no ride home, she insisted. After a long and tedious ride to the apartment complex, Mai said her 'thank you's and 'good byes'. She lied and told her that they lived on the first floor, which would be incorrect. But she wasn't sure on what Harry could have lying around the apartment and she didn't feel like explaining any of that to someone on the outside of their small little world. She took the elevator, because she just wasn't strong enough to use the stairs. She had a small bag full off her belongings that were collected at the scene and thankfully her keys were part of it.

She opened the door to smell lavender and vanilla. The couches and furniture were pushed to one side of the room and there was blue tape lining the walls. The distinct smell of paint in the air as well. She could see the blankets laying throughout the room where he had been painting. The candles were burning on the coffee tables and there were a few flower vases scattered throughout the apartment. There was a small Christmas tree in the corner with a couple simple ornaments on them and Mai smiled to herself before clearing her throat to make her presence known.

"Oh, Um- Hey." Harry was startled and jumped off of his ladder, almost splashing a silvery-blue paint everywhere.

"What are you doing?" She questioned and looked around the room in awe. This was the first time the place had ever looked clean. Dishes put up, dust bunnies gone; polished wood. This looked like a completely different apartment. Harry blushed and looked up, giving Mai a clear view of his face.

"Holy shit; what did you do?" she said frantically and looked him over. He had been wearing a comfy sweatshirt that covered his tattoos perfectly except for the few scattered on his hands. His lip rings were gone along with the earrings and eyebrow piercing. He hadn't cut his hair and never had she seen it so long. For once in his life, he looked like a normal teenage boy.

"This is what you want, right? I want to be what you want." He said softly to her as he led her into the large room on her crutches.

"I liked my Harry." She said genuinely. "But this one seems a little less intimidating." She smiled at him and he helped her down onto the couch. "How'd you expect for me to get home?" She pulled her legs up onto the couch and watched him go back to the wall to finish what he had started.

"You're a smart girl."

"Oh." She whispered. She was still a little disappointed that he had stopped coming to see her; definitely after what they had begun. She really hoped it wasn't over. It would be a crime to never kiss those lips again.

"Do you remember what exactly happened?" He said under his breath and oh how she had missed that voice.

"You had sex with my-"

"After that." He cut her off and she knew that that wasn't what he meant, but she felt like he should have that friendly reminder.

"I got in a car accident and I had like this really weird dream or whatever." Mai shrugged and Harry turned on the ladder.

"Yeah, the doctor gave you some drug that makes you have really vivid dreams. I don't remember the name of it." He licked his lips before climbing back down so he could sit beside her.

"But, it was so clear." She whispered and he was interested. Of course he was interested. He was interested in every small detail; he loved the way she talked. The way she explained things. The same thing she loved about him. Their ability to tell a story. "I drove off and went to Gregs and when I came home a few days later, you were just dead, and I was so sad. I was a wreck and there was your funeral and I just kept seeing you everywhere and you wouldn't shut up." She chuckled nervously and he urged her to go on. "Then, I was at the cemetery at your grave and you were there and it was so weird because it felt so real and you just disappeared and when I drove home you were in the car again. I crashed the car on purpose and you kept screaming at me, and telling me not to. And it was just so real." She was shaking from thinking about the whole thing. She knew that she probably made it boring and hard to follow; but she still remembered every second of it and it was heart wrenching.

She tried standing up and forgot the fact that she wasn't able to use her leg; she dropped within seconds and Harry couldn't get her in time.

"You little fuck up, damn. You almost knocked the candle over." He grumbled and there he was again. Same old Harry Styles. He grabbed her arm roughly and pulled her up, she stumbled over to her crutches and hurried to her bedroom; locking the door behind her.

The worst thing about the accident was that she almost died and the best thing about the accident was that she almost died; because a small part of her wished it had happened.

Those simple words brought her back.

His words, his anger, his aggressiveness, the possessiveness.

Harry was just like her dad.