21

Mai pushed the bottle of pills to the side and flipped on her side so she was facing the wall. She closed her eyes and waited for the sound of a closing door.

"Mai?" Harry spoke softly. "Mai, are you awake?" He had only been gone for 5 minutes, but there was a possibility that she could actually be asleep.

She felt her eyes watering and she held her eyes closed until the lights shut off and she felt Harry climb in the bed beside her.

*

It had been approximately 2 weeks since Rose had stopped by, and Mai's leg had gradually gotten better. She could walk around on her own by now and she was fully able to drive a car. Unfortunately, Harry would not allow her to get behind the wheel of a car, nor did they have the money to buy her a new car.

Harry drove Mai to work every day and by the time they got home, they were just about sick of each other. She drove him crazy and he made her think twice about everything she felt.

"Harry." Mai sat on the couch with a glass of wine in her hands. It was rare when she drank it, but Harry had poured her a glass and she would never refuse. He stood in the kitchen, making himself a glass of bourbon before looking over at her.

"Yo?" He began towards the couch to join her and she ran her finger across the top of her glass.

"Um, about what you said in the hospital..." She began. She spent the whole ride home thinking about what to say and was pulling blanks, but decided that it was a good time to start talking. They needed to start talking to each other.

"Mai, I completely understand if you don't feel the same. It's not going to bother me." He said casually and took a sip of his drink.

"No, I mean, it's the exact opposite. I've liked you for as long as I can remember. But when you say it like that, it sounds like you don't even care." She looked down at her leggings and red socks while talking to him. It was hard to look at him when they had serious conversations.

"You know I care Mai." He spoke out of frustration and she just nodded along instead of getting into an argument with him. They never ended well.

"Yeah."

"Look," She heard his glass hit the table and she looked up when she realized that Harry had gotten down on his knees in front of her ,"Mai, I want this to work. I want there to be an 'us'. But, you have to be in this with me. You know me more than anyone else and if you don't think this will work, I- I just don't think I could ever lose you. You know?" He took her glass from her hands and put it down next to his, to turn around and take her hands into his own. "Mai."

"Yes." She whispered and his lip twitched up into a small smile.

"Yes, what?" He squeezed her hands gently and began to stand up.

"Yes...I want there to be more to us. I don't just want to be roommates." She smiled back at him and watched as he sat down next to her.

"So I can kiss you?" His dimples showed which was a rare occasion, so she took in every second of it and nodded.

"Of course." She responded and he took her face in his hands before leaning down and kissing her. She had missed his lips like a long lost love and it was one of the best feelings. There wasn't a way to describe kissing Harry. The only thing she could say about it, is that she would never want to stop.

"So we're...dating?" She pulled back and looked him in the eye; feeling a cold rush in the room, despite the large amount of lit candles.

"That is a piss-poor word...Makes us sound like a couple in middle school. We're just together." He brushed his thumb slowly on her cheek and she gave him a slight smile.

"Okay. Together."

'12/16/13

All I really know is that you have exactly 42 freckles smattered across your cheeks.

There is a scar above your left eyebrow from the time you fell off your bike when you were nine.

You hate math because you don't think there is really a solution to every problem.

You like staying up late and reading books.

It's easy to make you laugh and pretty hard to make you cry. (I hate that I've managed to do that)

You like storms because the sound of rain hitting your window makes you feel less alone.

I know that I am in love with you and these are the only things that I am absolutely sure of.

-Harry'